We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Week in PR

Which Ponce hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
R G
Boston...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
One Week in PR

HI All,

I am planning a trip for my girlfriend and I to PR for the second week in March. My first thought was to spent 2 days in SJ, 2 days at the Copamarina, and 2 days at the Ponce Hilton. But the more I research, I feel that I should cut one region out.

The main objective of the trip is to escape the weather. Our top priorities are relaxing beach time, good authentic food, and one day of snorkeling. See below for my initial plan and I would very much like some feedback on if I should cut down my locations:

San Juan Sat and Sun: Staying at Numero Uno Guesthouse

Copamarina Mon and Tuesday (stopping at Guavate) and a day trip to Cabo Rojo and El Combate Beach

Hilton Ponce Day Wednesday and Thursday - snorkeling trip to Isla Caja de Muerto

Back to SJ for flight on Friday

Thank you in advance!

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,164 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Week in PR

Sounds good if your objective is to spend most of the time on the beach. Better check about Isla Caja de Muertos and make sure ferry is running on the day you want to go and arrange beforehand.

I love Old San Juan so would add a SJ day and spend it there and maybe add a day to Copamarina to include the drive to Ponce for the ferry to Isla Caja de Muertos and drop the Hilton stay. Just an idea.

Otherwise, I think you can do what you've planned.

Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One Week in PR

That sounds like some pretty good activities. I'm gonna agree with kz about maybe cutting out one stay. Just because, I personally enjoy 'settling in' to lodgings.

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One Week in PR

The Copamarina resort is a nice place to get away and has a low-key Caribbean feel to it, however the beach directly in front of the resort leaves a lot to be desired as it is loaded with sea grass. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice area and you can walk to the public beach further down on the beach crescent where it is sea grass free. Also Ponce is not known for nice beaches and the beach at the Hilton leaves a lot to be desired. Caja de Muertos Island is the place to go in Ponce for a nice beach. Make sure you bring EVERYTHING with you for the island is undeveloped.

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,006 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One Week in PR

I agree with not staying in Ponce. One day there is plenty, there's no need to stay. Ponce Hilton is located in a somewhat isolated area, away from downtown Ponce. There's nothing within walking distance to the hotel, and Ponce is simply not safe at night for non-locals.

I would recommend spending that time on the east side of the island instead. The rainforest is there. Nice natural waterfalls, pools and trails. Very nice beach very close by. You can visit the bio bay (a must see) at night.

Edited: 4:36 pm, January 30, 2013
5. Re: One Week in PR

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 01, 2014