We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any pub. WiFi Hotspots/internet cafes anywhere in PR?

Which San Juan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
U.S.A.
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Topic
Any pub. WiFi Hotspots/internet cafes anywhere in PR?

In my past trip to Puerto Rico, I learned to depend on $5 and $10 telephone call cards bought localy.

I would like to realise the potential of a (carried along) labtop or PDA acting as a long distane communication travel option...and if possible, to interface long-distance with remote monitoring/control home security devices and alarms.

At least for long-distance communication (using email, VOIP, AIM, Skype and such), It would be nice to know if public-use WiFi hotspots and internet cafes exist in the metro San Juan area and especialy the main airport, as well as (I hope) other parts of Puerto Rico.

As always, any hepfull replies appreciated.

H.

New York
3 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Any pub. WiFi Hotspots/internet cafes anywhere in PR?

Hi Guys,

Looking for hotspots across the nation as you travel can be much easier if you check out the hotspot directories.

Try The HotSpot Haven:

http://www.hotspothaven.com

It looks like we got 7 hotspots for the San Juan area. Click here to see them:

http://www.hotspothaven.com/?q=san+juan&opid=0&findall=Find+All&country=US

I hope this helps! You can also download SpotShadow to your laptop, and find hotspots when you are NOT connected to the internet. Download it for FREE here:

http://www.hotspothaven.com/spotshadow.php

Good Luck!

Noah

U.S.A.
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Any pub. WiFi Hotspots/internet cafes anywhere in PR?

hotspothaven...

I took the time to check your site, and attempt some experimental searches within the San Juan area...unfortunately, I did not experience any success with your hotspot search engine. Perhaps if you (or anyone who has successfully generated searches) can post one or two specific successfull search samples, it would help with familiarisation.

I note that to enter appropriate search samples, one must have specific zip/postal codes, as well as possibly specific local ISP names... Both somewhat difficult search clues for unfamiliar travelers to the intended search area.

The site and the search download sound promising...so I hope someone can clarify.

H.

New York
3 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Any pub. WiFi Hotspots/internet cafes anywhere in PR?

H,

Thanks for the post!

Question: Should we REMOVE the SELECT WIRELESS PROVIDER toll on the main search interface?

Is this too confusing for people? You do NOT have to fill this in.

You ONLY need to fill in a CITY or ZIP, and then hit FIND ALL or FIND FREE.

The wireless provider tool is there for subscribers to wireless providers that wish to only find hotspots for their providers network.

Its an added feature.

Try entering SAN JUAN, and then simply hit FIND ALL or FIND FREE. When I hit FIND ALL I get 8 hotspots.

Here is link if it doesnt work:

http://www.hotspothaven.com/?q=san+juan&opid=0&findall=Find+All&country=US

Your opinions are very important to me as my team and I try our best to provide the cleanest, fastest, and most accurate wi-fi hotspot dierectory possible. Dont forget to add hotspots you know of that are not there.

I'll await your post!

Thx,

Noah

U.S.A.
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Any pub. WiFi Hotspots/internet cafes anywhere in PR?

hotspothaven...

With regards your most recent post response... I, as a matter fact (on first site viewing), I tested your site search engine functions in several variations to see what results would occur (same as many other site visitors would likely do)... One of my methods was typing in "Puerto Rico" (with no local ISP selection), along with selecting "cafes", and along with the "free" selection... Results were zero for any combination I chose (I was using Firefox at the time).

After reading your most recent posting, I decided to enter your site again, using Internet Explorer (instead of Mozilla Firefox used in my first viewing)...though similar search-entering experimentation was applied... Lo n' behold, this time I DID get some results!... First few tries (and with differing criteria selections)...what came up was Piu Bello--but no others for San Juan, Puerto Rico!... However, the search engine did also include a McDonalds Hambuger establishment in San Juan Capestrano, California... Eventually, with continued repeated similar search queries, the results came back zero (not even the McDonalds in San Juan Capestrano).

I don't think that browser varations (or glitches) explains this lack of response. Perhaps variations in Windows Operating Systems might and maybe not.

I hope my feedback helps you...as I am a firm advocate of Consumerism, and human-friendly capitalism.

H.

New York
3 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: Any pub. WiFi Hotspots/internet cafes anywhere in PR?

H

Yes it does help me.

But, you have to remember to enter a CITY or ZIP CODE when searching for hotspots. Entering PUERTO RICO will not yield anything becuase it is a STATE.

When I eneter San Juan, I get 8 hotspot results...

The site is still in its infancy, and I hope that everyone will help me build this site to the best it can be. If you know of a hotspot that is NOT in our system, then you can simply submit it online.

I actually find the site works better using a Mozilla browser. But the user must remember to enter a CITY or ZIP CODE, otherwise, you will not get back the proper results.

Can you please try my system again, by searching some cities you frequent. Im curious to see if you find my site accurate.

Feel free to email me as well at noah@hotspothaven.com.

Thx

Noah

U.S.A.
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: Any pub. WiFi Hotspots/internet cafes anywhere in PR?

hotspothaven...

When I mentioned "differing search criteria" in my previous post, it included using "San Juan", "San Juan, Puerto Rico", "San Juan, PR 00907"(which includes the very commercial, tourist-oriented Condado area of San Juan)... All these variants for San Juan, in conjunction with selections such as "cafes", and with either the "all" or "free" selection...

Why would I (or any other site viewer) automatically presume that just typing "Puerto Rico" is going to lead directly to search results specific to San Juan, Puerto Rico!??...

Additionally, If I'm only entering variations of San Juan, Puerto Rico...why does a search result for San Juan Capestrano, California come up along with the single San Juan, P.R. establishment (irregardless of my internet browser)??

While ZIP and postal codes are usefull in specifying location searches, I doubt that specific postal codes would be in the minds of unfamiliar travelers or tourists focusing on a given travel destination...and likely the same would apply to available hotspot WiFi ISPs for any given travel location.

H.