We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to PR

Atlanta
Level Contributor
21 posts
First time to PR

Hi Everyone,

After reading what everyone had to say about PR my girlfriend and I decided to check it out. We plan on traveling from Feb 8th through the 12th. I have seen advertisements for rental apartments and condos in SJ as well as many hotels and resorts. Which of these options would be most cost effective if I plan on renting car, going jet skiing, snorkeling and to the caves and forrest. I know that daily rates for rental properties are cheaper but they don't include any of the above mentioned activities. What should I do? Also keep in mind that we are both 22 and recently graduated from college (living in dorm rooms) so our acceptible standards for living are lower than most. I would appreciate anything any of you have to say.

San Francisco CA
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
1. Re: First time to PR

workinfodaman - From my experience this May, I would rent a condo (look on craigslist.org or cyberrentals.com or vrbo.com). Hotels in San Juan are expensive by my standards and heavily taxed. I found a studio on Ashford Ave near de Diego at a great weekly rate and rented a car, and the total was much much less than a hotel. The owners showed me what streets I might find parking at night. Plus the condo was in walking distance to the grocery, restaurants and the beach. We drove everywhere and really appreciated the freedom to get around.

Good luck in your planning.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
21 posts
2. Re: First time to PR

Thanks Latinafro. I'm looking at a place right across the street from the Mariott. Should I rent a car at the airport or in the city? Does anyone know a cheap place to rent a nice car in PR.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,701 posts
36 reviews
10 helpful votes
3. Re: First time to PR

I've always had the best luck with hotwire.com for a car rental. If you rent away from the airport you save the airport tax. Hertz has a local rental shop within walking distance of where you will be staying. Best to just check around and compare.

San Francisco CA
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
4. Re: First time to PR

I rented from Charlie's because it is a Puerto Rican company and the rate I got on line was really good. If you look though the history of posts here you will see a lot of people give them high reviews and state that they will match other rates. Of course there are the national chains too.

NYC
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
6 reviews
98 helpful votes
5. Re: First time to PR

The apts across from the Marriot are a solid choice. I'm assuming you'll either be in Ashford Caribe or one of the similiar buildings. The hotels tend to be pricey for what you get in San Juan; though there's usually at least one with a special rate.

With a rental car you can do the rainforest on your own. It's not very hard to find. If cost effective is the goal, I would just rent the car for two day trips or so, not the entire stay. You won't really need it in the immediate San Juan area.

Stroudsburg...
Level Contributor
3,243 posts
4 reviews
14 helpful votes
6. Re: First time to PR

If you go into Orbitz for a car rental they will show you the prices for all the major car rental companies on the island. You can usually rent a compact for about $200.00 for the week.

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
23 helpful votes
7. Re: First time to PR

For a condo rental, you may want to look at this website also:

www.cyberrentals.com.

Click on Caribbean and then scroll down to Puerto Rico. Click on Condado, Isla Verde, San Juan and you may want to consider Luquillo (near the famous Luquillo Beach and the rain forrest). You will find a wide range of listings. Most are beachfront.

8. Re: First time to PR

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 pm, August 20, 2009