We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bio - Bays questions

Sterling, Virginia
Level Contributor
371 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Bio - Bays questions

Hello All,

I just found out that the BioBay Kayak tour in Fajardo does not allow anyone to swim in the bay - you have to appreciate the biobay by looking at your paddles and putting your hands in the water!! That to me does not seem like a lot of fun! Wouldn't it be more fun if we could swim in it? Is there any danger in swimming in the BioBays with these microorganisms?

The Bio Bay tour to Vieques on the other hand allows you to swim in the water.

So to me it sounds that even though the Vieques tour is more expensive ($99 pp), it also seems like a lot more fun.

Does that sound right to all?

Please let me know your thoughts....

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,313 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bio - Bays questions

I have never heard any suggestion that swimming with the dinoflagellates is dangerous. When we went on the East Island biobay tour, there was a seven-year-old boy in our group. He plunged right in and had a fantastic time, and it was not the first time he had done it! Everyone wore a lifebelt for safety's sake, since it's quite dark.

One of the people leading the tour stomped on the hull of the boat occasionally to startle the fish underneath. You couldn't see the fish swimming away, but you could see a long trail of blue flashing in its wake. It's awesome in the true sense of the word.

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,313 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bio - Bays questions

Forgot to mention that you should not put on bug spray or any other sprays or lotions before you get in the water, as you can easily kill the dinoflagellates.

Sterling, Virginia
Level Contributor
371 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bio - Bays questions

Thx for your reply - so is there a Fajardo tour that allows you to swim in the water - I would think that is the fun part, no?

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,313 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bio - Bays questions

Sorry, I don't know.

St Louis
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bio - Bays questions

Yes you DEFINATELY can swim in Fajardo Bio Bay. Been there done that...and it was great!!

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
144 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Bio - Bays questions

There is no company that doesn't allow you to swim in the bay on the other hand you have tour operators that don't promote as part of their tour. The reason for this is due to the fragile environment in which the organism lives in. Constantly introducing chemicals into the water especially bug lotion, bug repellent will over time overwhelm the organism causing them to die out. Pollution in any form eventually kills what lives in the water. This is the main reason why our biobay in La Parguera has lost its concentration to the point where you can't see the bioluminescence at the surface of the water. I give praise to any company that is eco minded and is willing to protect a treasure such as the biobay for future generations to enjoy. If there are people that don't care about the environmental impact then they will go with whatever company lets them swim and thats their choice, so be it. Regardless, the ability to see the bioluminescence and enjoy its wonder does not mean you need or have to swim in the water to appreciate it. I am sure there are a lot of people that did not swim in the biobay but still had "fun".

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,313 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bio - Bays questions

I agree that you don't have to swim in it to enjoy it. We chose not to swim, so the folks on the electric boat dipped up a bucket of water for us and let us swirl our hands around in it to see the glow. And just watching the trails from the fish was great!

Also, the sky out there is just a mass of stars. We even saw the Milky Way! That in itself is a rare treat.

Jeffersonton...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bio - Bays questions

Hi,

I know this is probably a paranoid question but don't they tell you not to swim after dark because that is when all the big fisheys are searching for food!!

Does anyone know of an electric boat that does the Fajardo bio bay tour? I have never been in a kayak and would be too nervous to try it at night. Thanks

Ginger

chicago, il
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bio - Bays questions

The dinoflagellates and the mangroves in general are very fragile ecosystems. Hence the emphasis on treading very lightly by means of non-motorized boats, discouraging swimming etc. If you want to see the effects of excessive human interactions on bio-bays, look at the fading bio lum effects in la parguera. The population of dinoflagellates there is a shadow of it's former glory, thanks to humans and their thoughtlesness.

So while swimming in the biobay might seem like a lot of fun, please remember that it can harm the very beings you are out there to enjoy!

There is no danger to us by swimming with the microorganisms, but there is a risk that we will harm these very microorganisms.

Ginger, kayaking is a lot of fun. My wife and I generally sucked big time at it, but our the guides at Eco Xcursions actually towed our kayak at times that we got too slow. also the water varies from 3 feet to 6 feet in depth, so mostly you are in shallow water with a strong floating vest. Dont worry, just go and enjoy yourself. No pictures or video can prepare you for the eerie blue glow and the whole experience. Highly recommend it.

Jeffersonton...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Bio - Bays questions

Thanks a lot!

I will probably try to rent a kayak before I go and try it out a little bit. I do want to be out there for the experience. I just don't think I will be out there swimming in it unless I fall in. HA! HA! Which is very likely!