We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few questions about our San Juan trip next month

Which San Juan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
442 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
A few questions about our San Juan trip next month

First, I am trying to decide btwn the Hilton and the Westin. I am leaning more towards the Westin bc it seems nicer, quieter, and a nicer beach. is this right? Also, I read the ocean is very rough in fron t of the Hilton and I don't like waves. I like a really mild sea.

Also, I'm thinking we'd rent a car so we can travel into San Juan to go out. We are not the party til the early a.m types, but a nice dinner and maybe some dancing some of the nights. Is this a realistic drive from the Westin into San Juan and back?

What do you all think?

Also--from what I've read November is rainy season but this shouldn't mean a washed out trip, but rather, a few hours of rain here and there. Is this right?

Lastly, we are interested in a day trip (or possibly a 2day trip) maybe to Culebra or Vieques. Is this realistic? How long does it take to get to each? I know there is a flight to Vieques but how long is the ferry?

K, that's all I can think of for now. Thanks a ton! :)

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A few questions about our San Juan trip next month

Actually the beach at the Hilton is protected, no waves, there are waves at the Westin, and they can be pretty rough for some people.

If you do stay at the Westin, its a great hotel, I think youd like it. Its not a bad drive from the Westin to San Juan and back. With the new Route 66 its only like 30 mins, which isnt too bad.

Correct about the rain, just a shower here and there.

Yeah, its possible to go to either Vieques or Culebra in one day. The ferry to Culebra is about 2 hours and the Vieques 1 hour 30 mins (more or less for both). The flight is about $40 and you are there in ten minutes. If you take what youd put into a hotel for a night and put it into the flight, you can have a great long day on either of the two islands.

GOOD LUCK!!

-Ricky

California
Level Contributor
241 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A few questions about our San Juan trip next month

Going on the ferry should take you about an hour an 20 minutes, which is not bad. However, if you are like me you would need a car to become mobile at either Vieques or Culebra. The ferry is about a couple of dollars one way and will sail until about 6:00 p.m the last departure from Vieques or Culebra. In the event that you rent a car on the main island you can take the car on the ferry for about 30 dollars roundtrip provided that you do not tell them that the car is a rental. To complete this task you must go to the main offices in Fajardo with plenty of time before heading back home. Sometimes if you are willing to be patient they are willing to accomodate you, or simply just rent a car once you get to Vieques to Culebra. They are about 50 dollars for the day.

I hope this information is helpful.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
442 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A few questions about our San Juan trip next month

Thanks for the input! I am suprised about the waves in front of the Westin. I had no idea. I really hate waves--totally scared of them for some reason! I really would like to take the day trips but the ferry on the car thing and can't tell them it's a rental, is prob more hassle than I want to deal with on vaca so thanks for the heads up!

Actually, now I am trying to decide between Amsterdam or Puerto Rico! I just cannot decide! :P

chicago
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: A few questions about our San Juan trip next month

We stayed at Westin rio mar for 9 days in March... Great place! Great resort... Lots of body surfing.. did not even need a boegy board! But beware it rained EVERY day.. 2 days non stop!! the clouds come over the rain forest & drop rain... Hence the name RAIN forest... I believe the surf is much less in Isla verde beach. We are going there in March 2007 instead of the Westi. Way to much rain for me...

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
442 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A few questions about our San Juan trip next month

Okay, so we have decided on Puerto Rico but now I'm thinking maybe no Westin. 1) I do not like waves. 2) I do not like rain. I'm torn---the Westin seems like a way better resort than the Hilton (and I read some horrid things about the Hilton) but perhaps the location of the Hilton (calm ocean and no rain) is better. I don't really care about being right in the city, in fact, I prefer being out of it. But, the other factors... I don't know what to do...

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,007 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: A few questions about our San Juan trip next month

if you are looking for a beautiful calm swimmable beach and a great lttle town try researching RINCON. CHECK OUT VILLA COFRESI OR RINCON OF THE SEAS GRAND CARIBBEAN HOTEL. they are almost nexy to eachother. www.rincon.org

happy planning,

doda

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
7,979 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A few questions about our San Juan trip next month

If you like it calm and dry, take a look at the southern coast. Very little rain. The dry forest has Cactus. The carib is a whole lot calmer than the atlantic side of the island. Copamarina comes to mind. Or as Doda suggested Rincon is great also. It generally does not rain for days at a time. Maybe a couple times a day. Although 2 years ago in November there was a ridge that sat on top of the island and it rained for the full week I was there. Bummer. I have been on the island maybe 30-40 times. Never has this occured before. It is tropical.

8. Re: A few questions about our San Juan trip next month

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:24 am, December 11, 2006
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
442 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A few questions about our San Juan trip next month

Thanks so much!! We actually ended up booking Aruba this time around, but I do plan on going to back to PR soon. I will save Mike's contact info. Thank you! :)

10. Re: A few questions about our San Juan trip next month

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 pm, August 24, 2009