We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

good "mom and pop" restuarants in OSJ

Which San Juan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Jacksonville, FL
Level Contributor
64 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
good "mom and pop" restuarants in OSJ

I have been reading the posts for good restaurants and I know about Parrot Club, LaBombonera, etc, but these sound like the nicer more expensive restaurants. Does anyone have any suggestions on the "little hole in the wall restaurants" that serves the true authentic puerto rican cuisine but is also CLEAN.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: good "mom and pop" restuarants in OSJ

Actually, La Bombonera is a very casual bakery/cafeteria type place. It's been around forever( about 100 years) - that's why it's so popular and gets so much mention. Dishes are not pricey( in comparison to other establishments) and you will see mostly locals...and maybe people that visit this forum!!

As you have read, a lot of us go there for breakfast to have Mallorcas and juice/coffee( very inexpensive breakfast- I think a Mallorca may be less than $2- maybe a bit more now with tax).

For lunch, you can get all sorts of typical PR meals.

And of course, there are the pastries- get the guava pastelillos covered with powdered sugar- my favorite!

There's another place like this( also on San Francisco St) called Cafe Mallorca- again, you will find Mallorcas and sandwiches, hearty meals etc.

Both of the above are very down to earth places.

Another place in OSJ is La Fonda El Jibarito( on Sol St) and Spanglish Cafe on 105 Cruz St.

The Parrot Club is still a place not to be missed- even if just to peek. Sometimes I've just gone for late night appetizers or brunch. It is not necessarily fancy- just hip/trendy and popular- very lively!!

Hope this helps out!

Jacksonville, FL
Level Contributor
64 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: good "mom and pop" restuarants in OSJ

Thank you PR Rocks. I can't wait to fill my tummy with all lthe PR delicacies.

Mayaquez, Puerto...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: good "mom and pop" restuarants in OSJ

Another vote for 'El Jibarito' on Calle Sol - its where we bring friends whenever we want to show them authentic PR cusine in Old San Juan. If you want something a little more upscale (and more expensive) you can try Ajli Mojili in Condado...

Spanglish Cafe looks great from the outside - simple menu, great prices and usually full when I want to go....

4. Re: good "mom and pop" restuarants in OSJ

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:26 am, August 23, 2009