We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

my trip to puerto rico

Which San Juan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
barbados
4 posts
Save Topic
my trip to puerto rico

just wanted to thank everyone who responded when i was planning my trip to PR . I stayred at a guest house called Travelers House which is a block over from the rio piadres street and the bus terminal, the owners there are really nice. I had a good time shopping but I found PR very dirty. Once you can tolerate that you are fine. once again many thanks

dc
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: my trip to puerto rico

Thanks for the update. For future reference, do you have contact information for Travelers House? How much was the room? PR in general has a littering/trash problem, but Rio Piedras center is particularly bad. Many parts of Old San Juan and the beach hotel areas are kept much cleaner.

san juan,Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
742 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: my trip to puerto rico

Rio Piedras needs an urgent makeover and a new mayor...what you are saying we know of....

Level Contributor
1,109 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: my trip to puerto rico

Speaking of trash and dirty, why is it like this here? Do people not take pride in their streets, homes, neighborhoods and cities? I know in our neighborhood there has formed a group of women who walk three miles every evening. They all carry bags and pick up any trash they see on the roads. Getting a new mayor will not solve all of the problems but if they could put trash cans on public sidewalks and actually have workers who would dump these two or three times a week it would sure help. I know I have tried to throw things in public garbage cans but they have been overflowing! They also need to start teaching the children how important it is to throw garbage away. There is a middle school near my house and all the children go across the street to buy food and drinks, then sit on the dirty sidewalks (because there is no place for the children to sit on the school grounds) to eat and drink then they just leave all of this trash on the street or side of the road. It is really sad and embarassing to see this and to see how people just don't seem to care. We have also seen families at the beach and El Yunque who are having a picnic and then when they leave they just leave all the garbage right there. Can anyone explain this.

Virginia
Level Contributor
361 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: my trip to puerto rico

I have always thought Rio Piedras was one of the nicer areas? Has it gotten to be so dirty recently?

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: my trip to puerto rico

u mean the mayor of san juan right?

rio piedras aint been an autonomous municipality since the 70's :)

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
828 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: my trip to puerto rico

RIo piedras needs an urgent plan to revitalize the area. Rio Piedras and some parts of Santurce are the worst parts of San Juan. I dont know where the mayor spend the money, but it is very dirty. Recently, the University of Puerto Rico designed a plan to be presented to the mayor for cleaning the area and he didnt liked the plan.. wonder why ?? not enough $$ for him. honestly he's been one of the worst mayor in san juan history. Sila Calderon (then governor 2001-2004) (before him 1996-2000)always had San Juan much cleaner and with beautiful landscaping.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: my trip to puerto rico

Its true, Santini has been really bad. He just said that the money from the new city tax is going to go into fountains and gardens, but I think it should go into fixing what is already there instead of making new gardens and fountains that they will forget to take care of in a few months.

Lets hope the next mayor isnt Santini and it is somebody that can do a good job at running the city. I mean, shouldnt the capital city be the nicest? Someone should have Caguas' mayor move to San Juan, because he has done an awesome job in Caguas.

-Ricky

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: my trip to puerto rico

The man is wasting all of cities budget on hair gel!

hehehehehehe

heres a pic so you know what I mean

www.laraza.com/uploaded_pictures/18584_1.jpg

barbados
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: my trip to puerto rico

lalaland you asked for contact info on Traveler House , the owner is Sra Serena and her husband the telefonos # is 754-6709 and the address is Calle Padre Colon #257. The rates are usually around $50 USD but I got a dicount as i was there for 5 days. It is really a budget accommadation and very convenient.

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: my trip to puerto rico

Zaney, I agree with you. Last visit to PR, we found it exceptionally unclean--litter everywhere we went on the island. It's a sad commentary. I was really embarrassed when I brought first-timers to the island. They were taken back by how dirty the island was. We even saw this in Culebra Island.

Children need to be trained at home. Schools should also emphasize the importance of the ecology. People cannot expect the government to clean up after them. We also found trash receptacles overflowing. I think part of the problem is the high cost of waste disposal on an over-populated island with ever decreasing land resources. The government needs to sponsor a recycling program.