We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

question about sundays and mondays with respect to...

athens
1 post
Save Topic
question about sundays and mondays with respect to...

is it true that most everything is closed on Sunday and/or Monday..

it looks like lots of restaraunts are only open for dinner tues through saturday..

we will be there on the way to and from Anguilla, and I want to make sure there are things to do

staying at the ritz on the way and El Covento on the way back

any advice appreciated

NYC
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: question about sundays and mondays with respect to...

A lot of stuff is closed on Sundays but not everything. If you are staying at El Convento on a Sunday Night, you will be in luck. That's on Calle Cristo in Old San Juan, which boasts a small strip of shops, a few restaraunts, and a Cathedral, most of which are open on Sunday. You will have plenty to do without even leaving that strip alone. (Walking around Old San Juan, even with everything closed is an enough of an activity in and of itself)

I can't speak for the Ritz, as I don't hang out in Isla Verde too often, but being as the major things in that area to do are centered around large hotels, I would imagine most of them would be open Sunday as well.

Chicago, Illinois
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: question about sundays and mondays with respect to...

I can't address Mondays since we were getting ready to fly home that day and did not leave the hotel..but on Sunday I did not notice any difference in the Old San Juan area that you would not find anywhere else..The post offices and banks are closed of course. We stayed at the Marriott in the Isla Verde-about a block from the Ritz and took the bus to the Old San Juan area. The buses don't run as frequently on Sunday but only cost 25 cents each so it's worth the wait if you have the time and the patience to wait. We had done our sight seeing precruise so I don't know if places such as el Morro are open but the tourism office was open on Sundays, all the stores we went to were open and the street vendors were out. Just walking around Old San Juan is a day in itself. At the tourism office they are promoting Puerto Rican rum so offered us each a free drink and gave us each a mini bottle of Bacardi flavored rum. We bought empanadillas from a street vendor for a dollar each and had a drink and lunch for about 5.00. They even sell pizza on the streets there. They sell snow cones and it's interesting watching the vendor chip the ice off a big blcok of ice to make the snow cones with. They have many craft booths open and there are many stores in the area. We had an early dinner at Mofongo's which is a restaurant in front of the Sheraton Old San Juan. It was air-conditioned and the food and drinks were good and the prices reasonable (altho not as reasonable as the street vendors). We had tried Senor Frogs precruise late at night and if you want drinks and entertainment it's ok but the only food I saw there was hot dogs. There was a 5.00 cover charge and the singer was really good but the drinks were a little costly and I didn't think it was really worth it but I'm not crazy about hanging out in bars anyway..They did have another Senor Frogs that was a few blocks up from the pier that may have been better..

In the tour books they say that the beaches are closed on Mondays but it looked the same to me on Monday as it did on Sunday. We did walk in the surf and lay out by the pool before flying home. We walked down the beach to gather shells for a souvenir photoframe and watched the surfers further on down the beach. Not real exciting but a good way to spend a great vacation.