We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus from OSJ to The Conservation in Barranquitas??

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
123 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bus from OSJ to The Conservation in Barranquitas??

Hi, Any information is greatly appreciated! :)

This will be our first time visiting PR. We are staying in OSJ (NOT renting a car). We'd like to visit the The Conservation & reserve a spot on the tour to see the edge of San Cristóbal Canyon (Friday Sept 27th).

My question: Is there public transportation available that we can take to the Conservation...or near the Conservation?

I also read on this site(www.topuertorico.org/gettopuertorico.shtml) about "addition to public transportation some cities provide "Lineas". Lineas are private taxis you share with three to five other passengers."

Has anyone used or can offer any information on them (there was no web/phone available)?

Thank your for your time.

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus from OSJ to The Conservation in Barranquitas??

There is none. If you are not renting a car, make arrangements for a tour

Acampa and Aventuras Tierra Adentro are very good rated tour companies.

Caguas, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,987 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus from OSJ to The Conservation in Barranquitas??

It is true that there is public transportation within towns, and that "lineas" do work. There are limitations as to time, and from which town to which town they travel.

To go from San Juan to Barranquitas on Public Transportation you will need to go to the public cars terminal in San Juan, wait for a car to "fill with passengers" to Caguas. From there another car to Cayey, another car to Aibonito, and another to Barranquitas (I don't now of a direct travel). Once in Barranquitas you are no where near the reservation, and it is another car to get near.

By the time you are there, you won't find cars to return to San Juan. La Linea won't work either, because they travel on a schedule of pick ups and it is not just for 5 people, they make sure to have about 10 for one trip.

I was on San Cristobal this weekend, with a knowledgeable person of the area, and it is not an easy hike. Today our joke at work is who hurts the most.

If you want to go there go with a professional tour.

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus from OSJ to The Conservation in Barranquitas??

Forget the "carro publico" as they are called in Puerto Rico. It would take too long to get there and it just isn't practical. If you are not renting a car go with one of the tour groups mentioned above.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
123 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus from OSJ to The Conservation in Barranquitas??

Thank you for all the information. Will look into scheduling a tour w/ a company. Thank you for your time!

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,251 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus from OSJ to The Conservation in Barranquitas??

I use the linea service every time I visit PR. Personally, I love this service. But honestly, I do not recommend this or the publico service to non-locals. This is why: you have to be familiar with the service. Their services are VERY specific as far as where they go and where they stop. Publicos travel short distances (within a town/city), lineas travel long distances between 2 cities/towns.

Lineas require advance reservations, and publicos aren't reliable. Both sevices require a whole lot of patience while the drivers picks up and drops off other passengers. And while lineas require advance reservations and don't necessarily have to wait to fill up like publicos do, they're still not 100% reliable. I was once stood up and missed my flight, and the last time I barely made my flight because the driver had to wait when picking up passengers who weren't ready, and also decided to drop off other passengers that weren't in a hurry before dropping me off at the airport.

If you don't want to rent a car, I strongly recommend that you use a tour service.

Edited: 1:48 pm, September 17, 2013
6. Re: Bus from OSJ to The Conservation in Barranquitas??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, September 19, 2014