We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bar and Clubs in San Juan

Level Contributor
11 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Bar and Clubs in San Juan

Hi All,

I wondered if you could help? Me and my friend are visiting San Juan next month and I was wondering if people could recommend any good bars and night clubs? I've look on the net and have found a few but I thought it might be best to get some more personal recommendations.

Me and my friend are pretty easy going and like most things, but mostly I was wondering if anyone knew of any good Rock Bars as we and my friend are quite into that scene.

Any help would be appreciated!

Lee

Mentioned in this post
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,419 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bar and Clubs in San Juan

Let me get this straight. You are looking for a Rock bar in a Spanish influenced island. I can't help. Maybe a local can.

Level Contributor
11 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bar and Clubs in San Juan

Yeah I thought it might be a tall order. But hey they have them in Spain.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,419 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bar and Clubs in San Juan

The Intercontinental has a club and the hotest clob is next door at the El San Juan. Both in Isla Verde. But they will play a mix of things.

Mentioned in this post
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
Isla Verde
Isla Verde
Puerto Rico
San Juan
Level Contributor
185 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bar and Clubs in San Juan

Nuestro Son in OSJ has live rock shows constantly.

El Batey is a small dive bar in OSJ as well where lots of locals go and has an excellent jukebox.

La Respuesta in Santurce also holds all types of live shows that range from rock to hip hop to reagge. But that's in an area in Santurce not touristy at all.

El Local in Santurce as well, not far from La Respuesta, gets packed on Tuesday, Saturday nights with lots of locals and they play rock music and hold live shows from time to time. Mostly experimental stuff or punk rock

There was a thing also in Santurce here they used to play Garage Rock and like old 60's stuff every Thursday but I don't know if it's still around. I'll ask..

Edited: 2:09 pm, July 23, 2013
Mentioned in this post
El Batey
El Batey
90 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Santurce
Santurce
63 Reviews
Puerto Rico
San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
10,229 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bar and Clubs in San Juan

Pr_bob, plenty of places have rock bands here. In fact, it is easier to find those than latin music.

Aleks gave most of the options. Handle bar would be another one. But none of these are in tourist locations. You will find a cab to take you there, but none on the way back, unless you call for service.

Caguas, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
2,125 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bar and Clubs in San Juan

Handle bar is a nice option, and with a rental car an easy drive from the San Juan area.

Most of the bars Aleks mentions are good options, and they also bring sort of "tribute" bands, which play music from a specific band.

Places get packed with locals, but open to others who truly enjoy the music.

Mentioned in this post
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
11 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bar and Clubs in San Juan

Thank guys, looking forward to my holiday even more now ;)

All recommendations welcome

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
2,656 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bar and Clubs in San Juan

I hate to say it, but the last time I was at the El San Juan, (03/12) there was a rock band in the lobby on a Friday night. Oh, the shame of it!

Mentioned in this post
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,419 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bar and Clubs in San Juan

Interesting. I will have to check some of these places out. Rock Band in the lobby of the El San Juan. I will check that out for sure.

Mentioned in this post
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bar and Clubs in San Juan

The Nuyorican Cafe in OSJ features local rock bands on Monday nights beginning at 10:00 pm. I would call before heading over unless you are in OSJ that night.

http://nuyoricancafepr.com/calendario.html

Mentioned in this post
Nuyorican Cafe
Nuyorican Cafe
191 Reviews
Puerto Rico