We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Custom/Law Question

New York
13 posts
Save Topic
Custom/Law Question

I am a 17 year old male. Will I get arrested/fined or get the police called on me in san juan, puerto rico, if I use a fake ID to enter and drink in clubs/bars? Or is a fake ID not nessecary since im only one year under the drinking age?

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Custom/Law Question

Hello:

When are you turning 18? I can tell you that if you are going to a club, they will card you (or they normally will). You are better off just going to bars, cause they don't normally ask you for an ID (unless you look really young). You don't want to get arrested for something like that. Remember, don't drink and drive, and don't drink by yourself either. Good luck!

New York
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Custom/Law Question

-----I'm turning 18 in august but ill be visiting in April... i mean if i go to a bar and i don't have an ID, will they call the cops on me? even if i already been drinking there the whole night?

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Custom/Law Question

Your best bet is to hang around the collage areas like Mallaguez or Ponce, get to know some of the students and have fun. Don't go anywhere locally alone unless you speak very good spanash. Most local places wont speak to you in english even if they can. Always buy a round of drinks if you go some place local.

New York
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Custom/Law Question

I can't because i already booked the hotel for san juan, puerto rico. My friend im going with will be 18 by then. Im just scared i do not want to get arrested for under-age drinking. Will i? This is my plan go to a bar and drink if they ask for an id i leave if they don't then i'll stay and drink. The only thing im curious about is what happens of they ask me for an id while im already drinking. Will they call the cops on me? Even if i don't have an id?

brooklyn
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Custom/Law Question

why would they ask you for id if youre already drinking?

here an idea... get your friend whos of age to buy some liquor and hang out at the hotel and drink.

or deal with it- you would we breaking the law so thats that chance you have to take if it is necessary for you to go drinking out in bars in a unfamilar place.

you dont sound mature enough to handle any of this. sorry. you can have fun plenty of other ways besides getting wasted.

New York
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Custom/Law Question

I am mature enough i just want to know what will happen to a 17 year old getting caught at a bar drinking underage. ok

Save Reply
7. Re: Custom/Law Question

he will take you out back and beat you severely.... come on dude, think about it. the cops will do what any latin american cop would do. he will either "fine"(take all of the money that you have) you right there and you have to leave the bar. he can arrest you, "fine u", and then hold you in a cell until someone comes with more money. He can "fine you," arrest you, then drop you off in the middle of the ghetto. or he can simply fine u and then take you out back and beat the crap out of you for being a kid. it's latin america. just get some balls, go into a bar, order a drink and see what happens. just don't tick anyone off and you'll be fine. if they don't serve you, then go to a liqour store, buy a fifth, and have fun. FYI: if your this worried about getting caught, your're never going to pass for 21 while using a fake. you'll act like every highschooler that thinks he looks old enough to be 4 years older than he really is. good luck.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,144 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Custom/Law Question

Since you are so worried about it, then don't try it at all. Who says that you have to drink when out with your friends? You can order a non-alcoholic drink. Whether you're in NY or PR, you take your chances in this situation--maybe you'll get carded, maybe you won't. Maybe when you're carded, you'll get caught, maybe you'll get away with it. Who knows?

San Juan
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Custom/Law Question

Dude, you won't get arrested, IF they catch you drinking they'll probably kick you out. If this happens simply walk to the next bar and so on. I live in San Juan and been drinking here ever since my head reached the bar (when I was like 12!). Try to bring a good fake id and you'll be fine. Remember to keep your cool at the bar, don't do anything stupid once you are drunk. You'll have the time of your life...

U.S.A.
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Custom/Law Question

If you are a travelling stateside young individual (and under the local legal drinking age)...respect the local drinking statute "dude"! You and any underage others that do, will create BETTER lasting impressions.

Any local tourism (anywhere) that contribes to encourage large gatherings of underage alcoholic drinkers, is being major long term asinine! "Come to sunny Puerto Rico...and do all the booze and drugs "U" can't do stateside!!"...convenient addict and alcoholism destination..yeah...

I happen to believe in right-to-free-speech and public political protest BTW. My impression is that the Puerto Rican police behave a tad too much like U.S. counterparts.