We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a Car in Old San Juan

Which San Juan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
244 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Renting a Car in Old San Juan

I have read the guide books regarding renting a car in Old San Juan for a day, but now I would like some reader's advice.

1. Please share any personal experiences/tips that might help us.

2. Did you go with a national company or a cheaper local car rental company? (I have seen both recommended.)

3. Did you buy the extra insurance or just use the insurance that comes with your charge card?

4.**Were you able to rent a car using your charge card?

Thanks for any tips.

Bedford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,952 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a Car in Old San Juan

1. Please share any personal experiences/tips that might help us.

I have been going to PR since the early 80's, never really had an issue renting a car.

2. Did you go with a national company or a cheaper local car rental company? (I have seen both recommended.)

National company

3. Did you buy the extra insurance or just use the insurance that comes with your charge card?

No, but I do have a rider on my personal CC.

4.**Were you able to rent a car using your charge card?

Yes no issue

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a Car in Old San Juan

People have had really good experiences with one local company: Charlie's Rental cars. I personally had a good experience with Enterprise. Charlies is cheaper than all of the national brands. I always use a credit card to rent, which is a requirement at all the companies. I have gotten full coverage insurance and have used my Amerexpress card and used their insurance. Some insurance companies will insure your rental in Puerto Rico. You'll have to call and check to see if they will or not and you will also have to call whatever company you choose to see if they will accept your personal auto insurance policy.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
7,982 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting a Car in Old San Juan

Check with your insurance company at home, you may be covered. I have Progressive and they cover Puerto Rico and the Virgin islands. Before I go on a trip, I lower my deductibles etc. I can do it online, so it is super easy. Cost me under $20 for a couple weeks. PR is part of the US and uses the US Banking system. You can use your credit/debit cards just about everywhere. Grocery store, Walmart, Fast food, etc. As far as renting a car. Use what discount codes you have. Most will be accepted. Check some reviews though. There are many. Avis and Charley's get consistantly good reviews. Thrifty as of late has not been good. Etc.

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
17 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting a Car in Old San Juan

We always use Hertz...they have a great triple A rate. Never had any problems and they've got quite a few locations. I like that we can pick it up at one location and return it to the airport...saves on taxi fare.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
757 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting a Car in Old San Juan

Parking especially in OSJ, will be an issue. Try to get housing with parking or close to a pay lot with no charge for in/outs. Park in a safe place but remotely but from other cars if at all possible, even on short trips. Our car was noticeably dented 3x (by doors, shopping carts, cars backing?) over a 1 week period on short shopping trips- no witness hit and runs. Standard car rental hours are 8-6 and there may be lack of availability or surcharge outside of those hours (except Charlie). We've had great service from Avis and Enterprise over several trips and they rented for less than Charlie, also a good company. Check rental rates 3-4 weeks and 1 day before rental date, you may be surprised how low rates will go (rental car dot com). Rental car company insurance that you purchase does NOT COVER liability! Some premium credit cards offer free PRIMARY insurance coverage which means you don't have a deductible to pay from your insurance. This allows you to decline the extra cost insurance coverage by rental car company. You can rent with a credit card with all the above companies, but if you have an accident, they may put a hold on the card you used until things are settled. That means you should carry a separate card as a backup.

Out

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
244 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting a Car in Old San Juan

Thank you for all the great information.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
757 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Renting a Car in Old San Juan

Here's the link for quickly checking car rentals, I usually uncheck the other sites listed on the home page to speed things up. They have always had the lowest price for me and include a coupon code in the quote, but you can sometimes still use additional codes with the company directly: http://www.carrentals.com/

Watch out for the dents, all companies check things over upon returns and you will get a hassle. Take video/pics of the vehicle at the time you rent for comparison. Just about every car in San Juan has dents already, so it seems no big deal if you dent someone else- unless you happen to be tourist renter. JMHO....

Out

8. Re: Renting a Car in Old San Juan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, June 17, 2014