We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

restaurant suggestion for a birthday dinner

plymouth
Level Contributor
45 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
restaurant suggestion for a birthday dinner

My husband and I are making our 1st trip to Puerto Rico Mar.3-12. We are staying on Condado beach and I'm looking for a really nice, authentic restaurant for my husband's birthday. Something close by preferred. It doesn't have to be fancy, just good local food with good service. Plus, any ideas for must sees and dos. We plan on renting a car for a day or 2 and seeing the rain forest and maybe a drive to the south side. We love beaches - don't care for tours - but want to see a good deal of the island. We don't mind taking the local buses so if there is something we can see by taking that, we look forward to it. We also want to spend a day seeing Old San Juan. Thank you for any ideas!!

Caguas, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
2,040 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: restaurant suggestion for a birthday dinner

Hello,

As I stated in another post, there are many many many many many nice authentic restaurants in PR. So it will depend on your budget and expectations. My suggestion: try as many as authentic restaurants as possible :) and instead of cake, try "Flan" (Puertorrican Custard).

I am a local, and if your budget allows rent a car or taxi. I do not recommend the use of our local buses because their iteneraries are not trustable, and you can end up waiting 30-45 min for a bus, for something that could take a 10 min drive or less. Since you are staying at el Condado, there are nice walking attractions.

Rent a car for three days, and go to Fajardo for a snorkeling tour/catamaran tour. One day Ponce (Museum, Fire House, Seralles Castle, look up their operating hours and days), another day for old San Juan and Bacardi Distillery that has a 1.5 hr free tour. You will need a car for these.

Still adventourus: Drive north to Arecibo (1.5 hour) and visit the Radio Telescope (largest in the world) and the Camuy Caves. Make sure to visit the caves first, because they have a daily maximum of visitors and once it has been reached they close them. And before driving off, look up their operating hours.

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,565 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: restaurant suggestion for a birthday dinner

Metropol in Isla Verde offers delicios authentic (and some Cuban) food, and the service is great. Bebo's near Condado is more casual but the food is delicious and the service is good. The same applies to Cafe Manolin in the Old San Juan. These places are where the locals go.

You already have the must-sees covered: Old San Juan and the rainforest. I would recommend adding the bio bay to the rainforest trip beings that it's near El Yunque. And since you'll have plenty of time, why not spend the night in that area and take a day trip to Culebra or Vieques?

Another suggestion is a trip to Guavate. If you enjoy authentic food, a trip to Guavate for some roasted pork and the traditional fixings is a must. You can add Ponce to this trip and stop at Guavate on your way to or from Ponce.

I hope that this helps!

Edited: 3:51 pm, February 25, 2013
plymouth
Level Contributor
45 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: restaurant suggestion for a birthday dinner

Thank you both so much!! One of the reasons I love tripadvisor so much - hearing from someone local or who has experienced it!! As I said, this is our 1st trip so we are looking to see the must dos - we don't want to be too busy - we're coming for the beaches and food!!! But, we also want to see the island. If all goes well, we'll be back to see more! I'll look into each thing the 2 of you have suggested and see what works for us. I appreciate you taking the time to answer.

4. Re: restaurant suggestion for a birthday dinner

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 27, 2014