We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling from SJ airport to Vieques?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
117 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling from SJ airport to Vieques?

How long does it take, and is it a fairly easy trip?

We are arriving on a Wednesday afternoon and our cruise departs on Saturday evening...I'm thinking Vieques would be a great place to spend a couple of days, but am I trying to do too much?

Thanks for the help as always!

pa
Level Contributor
943 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling from SJ airport to Vieques?

I think that's possible as my husband and I did the same thing last Aug.We arrived Wed. late afternoon rented a car from Charlies stayed overnight near San Juan drove down to Cieba left the car parked at the airport and flew Vieques air to the island rented a jeep for the 2 days and stayed 2 nights. Also did the biobay.Flew back Sat. afternoon and stayed at the Fajardo Inn Sunday morning left early stopped at El Yungue and did some hiking,we should have left a little earlier than we did as we wanted to be a Charlies downtown location to drop off the car and get shuttled to the pier, but it took longer than we planned and ended up having to take a taxi. So yes it can be done. We chose to fly rather than do the ferry as we didn't want to take the chance of not getting on the ferry and wasting alot of time.

Mentioned in this post
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
The Fajardo Inn
The Fajardo Inn
1,010 Reviews
Puerto Rico
usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling from SJ airport to Vieques?

To answer your question, you would not be doing too much. You can take a direct flight from San Juan. The painless way to get to Vieques is to fly there and the flight is about 30 minutes long and it's very scenic, giving you panoramic ocean and mountain vistas.

It's cheaper to fly from Isla Grande Airport in San Juan which is a short 10-15 minute cab ride from the international airport. If money is not an issue, you can fly for more from the international airport.

You can return early afternoon on Saturday and have plenty of time to catch your cruise. Isla Grande Airport is right next to the Panamerican Pier. The other cruise ship piers are in OSJ which is a short cab ride from Isla Grande Airport.

Edited: 8:33 pm, February 23, 2013
Mentioned in this post
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
Isla de Vieques
Isla de Vieques
Puerto Rico
3. Re: Traveling from SJ airport to Vieques?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 25, 2014