We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Puerto Rico -Tomorrow!

Colorado
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Topic
Traveling to Puerto Rico -Tomorrow!

My wife and I (mid 30's) will be in San Juan (Intercontinental) tomorrow until Tues. morning. I have studied a little about things to do etc but wanted some suggestions. Unfortunately I have not had the time to look up topics in this forum. Here's a rough plan for what we will do..we will rent a car.

Friday - check out Old San Juan.

Saturday - not too much....try to snorkel?

Sunday - Drive West towards Arecibo...pehaps see the Radio observatory).

Monday - El Yunque

Old San Juan Note: any suggestions for where to park would be great (near the Piers?) and of course restaurants.

Can anyone suggest towns or places to see while we are driving around the country? For example...I heard there are some caves (Rio Camuy) out west....I am mainly interested in seeing the country side and towns.

Also, I know the island itself is not too large, but can you give me an idea what traffic etc might be like traveling? Say if we wind up near Ponce at 3:00pm on Sunday, how long will it take to get back to S.Juan?

Thanks!

PR
Level Contributor
105 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to Puerto Rico -Tomorrow!

I would skip the Observatory and go to the Camuy Caves(check the opening hours though). In San Juan we always park right behind the Sheraton(in front of the piers) its known as Doña Fela, its cheap.

San Juan PR
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to Puerto Rico -Tomorrow!

Friday old San Juan celebrates 5 de Mayo so arrive early to San Sebastian street and check Rumba that has Sammy Ayala with a 13 piece salsa band . The street will be packkkk

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to Puerto Rico -Tomorrow!

Old San Juan will likely be very crowded Friday night. I am assuming that you will want to visit the Forts. I suggest getting there early- expect the possibility of maybe heavier traffic around the area of the capitol( given the recent situation here). If you haven't had breakfast, stop at La Bombonera for Mallorcas. Then take your time strolling the streets. Hopefully you can visit both Forts( San Cristobal and El Morro). You can have lunch at El Picoteo for Tapas( Hotel Convento).

Parking: El Parking de Dona Fela- by the Sheraton Hotel.

Sunday- Try to leave early as well so that you have time to relax. Take a good map with you. You will not have time to see all of PR. If you go north, you will find Dorado, Arecibo, Camuy( for the caves- which are beautiful) and you can go as far as Isabela( which is beautiful). I think that if you try to pack in more than that it will be too exhausting.

If you go south, you can see Ponce( the second largest town in PR and see the Red Firehouse, Seralles Castle), then go to the beaches of Guanica.

I hope this is helpful. Have a wonderful time. I think traffic will be fine on a Sunday- coming back to San Juan may be a bit congested. If you decide to go to Ponce it will take about 1.5 to 2 hours getting to Ponce.

naples
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to Puerto Rico -Tomorrow!

If you email me at sol07132003@yahoo.com, I will give you the email amd # of a fantastic tour guide.

Colorado
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling to Puerto Rico -Tomorrow!

Thanks to all who responded...a couple of responses of my own:

1. My wife and I are interested in space, so the obsevatory is almost a given. But I will see if we can do the caves as well.

2. For Friday, my plan is to get there early to sight see in Old San Juan. See the forts and other attractions. Most likely leave around 2:00 / 3:00 since we have plans away from OSJ that night...so we'll avoid the crowds at night (I imagine...though I love festive things).

3. I might be over eager in trying to see too much...it seems there's a lot to do so I suspect we might have to visit again. We definately plan on OSJ and El Yunque..we might try snorkeling for one day as well..

4. We won't have time for a tour guide....but perhaps some other time.

Thanks...

Bayamón, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
627 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling to Puerto Rico -Tomorrow!

Saludos boricuas...

You will find three multilevel parking garages across the street from the piers. Right at their entrance there is a restaurant row.

Makarios have great Middle East food, and Sake House my favorite sushi. Makarios shares outdoor seating with other restaurants as well. The rest of the row has Italian, Cuban, and a couple more. The right far end of the row, where taxis park has Aguaviva in the corner for seafood, and Firefly, Parrot Club, and Tantra. I recommend all of them.

If you are looking for a more casual feeling and lighter food, try Mr. Froggs and Pool Palace.

Also, the Sheraton has Fogata, for meat lovers.

Cave Park and the radiotelescope are just minutes apart. Please note that tours have a schedule, so plan ahead.

http://www.naic.edu

parquesnacionalespr.com/ofrecimientos_cavern…

Questions? Ask!

Juan Carlos Ortega

london
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling to Puerto Rico -Tomorrow!

hi there. my friends and i just returned from san puerto rico last week. you are gonna have a great time.

restaurants i recommend in OSJ are dragonfly, tantra, parrot club. all very nice and very close to each other on la forteleza st.

if you want to snorkel then i think its best you head east to fajardo and take a boat ride over to icacos or culebra. we snorkelled at both these places and they are both very good. culebra is fantastic though and flamenco beach is stunning.

i would also recommend the camuy caves. we were not going to do this and then found a tour guide who said we really should go here. he drove us there on saturday afternoon and im so glad we went cos its beautiful. we dont have anything like that here in london so it was truely and experience for us. if you are going to the observatory, then you will have enough time to do the caves too. dont miss out.

el yunque is also great, try and do the hike to la mina falls. we swam in these falls and it was fantastic. take a good pair of walking shoes and swim wear.

if you can try and get to rincon in the north west then go, its a really cool little town with nice places to eat and hang out. the beaches here are lovely too. everyone in san juan told us this is the best part of puerto rico.

i think ponce may be a waste of a day. there isnt much to see or do here. we drove through and got bored and then headed straight to guanica, to a place called gilligans island. this place is gorgeous too. shallow waters, mangroves and great snorkelling.

you will have a great time in PR, i couldnt fault it. enjoy. im jealous cos i wanna go back now.

8. Re: Traveling to Puerto Rico -Tomorrow!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:55 pm, June 19, 2006
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,007 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling to Puerto Rico -Tomorrow!

EAST ISLAND EXCURSIONS also offers several different siling/snorkeling tours. including one TO THE VIEQUES BIO-BAY. which is an absolute must see while visiting PUERT RICO. FOR MORE INFO VISIT

www.eastwindcats.com

we had alot of fun on thier tours

good luck

doda