We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in San Juan

Which San Juan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ann arbor, mi
Level Contributor
37 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Safety in San Juan

On the US national news tonight there was a segment about the drug cartel in San Juan and concerns about safety. We have a trip planned at the end of December, and I am concerned. Could someone please address this? Thanks

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
6,850 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety in San Juan

Tens of thousands of tourists visit San Juan every month without any problems. Use the same common sense you do back in Ann Arbor and you'll be just find.

NY
Level Contributor
117 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety in San Juan

Im here right now with my twin sons and i have never felt safer while traveling

The people are incrediblly helpful. Twice we were lost when traveling to Fajardo and I was helped.

NY
Level Contributor
117 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety in San Juan

Im here right now with my twin sons and i have never felt safer while traveling

The people are incrediblly helpful. Twice we were lost when traveling to Fajardo and I was helped.

Armonk, New York
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety in San Juan

There are drug related crime problems in San Juan as it has been a transshipment point into the US. The crime is mostly among those in the trade and seldom if ever affects the tourist areas. Its like saying the problems in downtown Detroit would make you want to avoid Ann Arbor. You are very safe wherever you go as long as you use the common sense (don't leave your iPad on the dashboard, etc.) you would use anywhere.

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety in San Juan

The Metro San Juan area has an excess of 2.1 million people. It has big city problems like crime just like any city in the continental U.S. Miami Florida receives millions of vacationers annually and yet it is a crime-ridden city, much of it drug related. Typically, crime has never been specifically directed toward tourists in Puerto Rico. Use common sense like you would in any U.S. city and be especially cautious at night. It's best to take taxis to your destinations at night and avoid just randomly walking just anywhere.

Edited: 8:01 am, November 24, 2012
San Juan
Level Contributor
185 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety in San Juan

As mentioned crime is probably 90% related to the drug trade. I live here and been all over even to shady areas and have never had issues. I have friends you’ve been mugged but that has been in areas that no tourist would likely ever visit because you need to have knowledge of San Juan to even go to those areas.

You’ll be fine.

7. Re: Safety in San Juan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:35 pm, November 24, 2012
Edited: 9:35 pm, November 24, 2012
usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety in San Juan

Mentioning Miami was done to make a point as it relates to tourism. Miami is #46 of the top 100 most dangerous cities in the U.S. San Juan is not on the list. In fact, there are quite a few Florida cities (touristy cities) that are on the list for that matter.

neighborhoodscout.com/neighborhoods/…

It's #17 on this list:

…yahoo.com/news/…

Edited: 9:42 pm, November 24, 2012
9. Re: Safety in San Juan

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:05 pm, November 25, 2012
10. Re: Safety in San Juan

Removed on: 6:38 am, November 25, 2012