We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 day Pre Cruise Itinerary: Bio Bay, El Yunque, Guavate

High Ridge, MO
Level Contributor
34 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
3 day Pre Cruise Itinerary: Bio Bay, El Yunque, Guavate

Priorities: Bio Bay, El Yunque Rain Forest, Guavate, country side driving, local cuisine and music.

My husband and I are in our 50's arriving Wednesday, Nov. 7 - Saturday, Nov. 10 for a pre cruise stay. We arrive Wed. at 3:15 p.m. My intention is to rent a car for 3 days. From airport drive directly to Fajardo to do bio bay tour. (stay at Fajardo Inn). Next morning go to El Yunque Rain Forest. We do enjoy seeing the country side, Luquillo Beach (not wanting to spend any length of time on a beach but to check it out) and anything along the way back to Old San Juan. In OSJ, we do have a room for 2 nights at Cervantes. Friday early afternoon going to Guavate. Is it worth the trip and will there be lechoneras open on Friday? I do love lechon. Any place along the way to check out? Return car.

We are hooking up with 3 other couples that arrive Friday evening, around 5:00ish (they are staying at Radission) and going around OSJ with them. Go bar hoping, nightlife and music with them OSJ. Since we will return car Friday by 3:00 pm, maybe hang by the Radission and take a taxi to OSJ with them.

Saturday afternoon start our cruise at Pan American Pier on Celebrity.

On Thursday night, should we check out Isla Verde or Condado? If so, any suggestions where to eat? We do like Happy Hour Bar type restaurants or medium price atmosphere local cuisine (no high scale). Should we just stay at the Radission for 2 nights instead of OSJ? I just heard, if you want to visit OSJ that you should spend the night there.

Bio Bay: we know how to kayak, but do not want to be bombarded by others that do not. Is it worth it? Or are you able to see more of the bay with the electric boat? Thanks for any input and any changes that might make more sense.

puerto rico
Level Contributor
236 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 day Pre Cruise Itinerary: Bio Bay, El Yunque, Guavate

Sounds feasible and fun if you are into being on the go and the timing all works out..which sounds possible too.

A few logistical things...

I suggest you reserve in advance the later 9 ish pm biobay trip (with whichever company you choose)

I would first get car, drive out to the Inn and check in, have a small dinner and then do the biobay. That way you can factor in the chance of being late arriving to airport and.or the car rental possibly not being as fast a process as you hope..and then the chance of some small traffic en route to Fajardo. However recently the highway 66 has extended wonderfully and it is a short trip from San Juan airport all the way to Rio Grande now!

Then for your next day when you get up and leave Fajardo..the beach you plan to stop at is en route to the rainforest..Luquillo is Balenario Montserrat...the exit will be balenario/kioscso..

Then on to the rain forest.

For your Lechon question..being primarily a veggie myself I cannot comment on that part!

Have fun!

I would hang out in Condado area over Isla Verde for fun and OSJ of course the last night for bar hopping.

Enjoy!

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
10,220 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 day Pre Cruise Itinerary: Bio Bay, El Yunque, Guavate

Your itinerary looks fine.

The biobay is worth it. You would first go through a tunnel of mangroves, so not much open kayaking. It will be dark, so people get a bit clueless. But then you rezch the bay and can separate from the main group.

I didn't know hotel Cervantes til you mentioned it, and I walk around there every week. Looks ok, but that is a noisy street. I like the idea of staying in OSJ, that way you can walk to the forts and do some shopping.

Guavate is a great experience. Pick any restaurant you see, they all serve similar stuff. If you like that, maybe you could also visit Pinones, which is close to the airport. Mostly fritters.

I prefer the nightlife of Condado over Isla Verde, but some people enjoy the music at the lobby bar of El San Juan hotel.

South Korea
Level Contributor
4 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 day Pre Cruise Itinerary: Bio Bay, El Yunque, Guavate

bio bay is worth it, i just came back and at first wasnt sure if id be able to do it because all the prices i seen was in the 130 plus range. and as a student traveler i just couldnt come up with the money. but found a really good deal from a guy who was accommodating. i had the best experience everrrrr and i never kayaked in my life. it was a small group of us- about 3 or 4 kayaks- which i think was better, because we would pas a group of 10 plus kayaks and it seemed a bit cluttered.

4. Re: 3 day Pre Cruise Itinerary: Bio Bay, El Yunque, Guavate

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, November 16, 2013