We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegan/Vegetarian Options in San Juan?

Portland, Oregon
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Vegan/Vegetarian Options in San Juan?

My boyfriend and I are traveling to San Juan later this week - first time visitors for us both. We are both strict vegans, and are looking for some suggestions for restaurants. We'll be staying in Old San Juan and probably won't be renting a car - some place we can get to on foot or by public transportation would be most convenient. Any suggestions? I've done some research but have been unable to come up with any menus for the restaurants I've read about.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,153 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vegan/Vegetarian Options in San Juan?

I don't know if there are any restaurants catering to strict vegans. Try eating rice and beans if you go to a restaurant that serves local food. It is delicious and in most cases, it has no meat. I would ask before ordering, however. There are some versions of this dish that have ham in it. Otherwise, you can go into a restaurant and order salads or vegetable side dishes, just like any place else. For breakfast, perhaps a buffet would be your best option since they offer items like pancakes, waffles, toast and fruit.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,440 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vegan/Vegetarian Options in San Juan?

You can try Caf�� Berlin, in 407 San Francisco St. Viejo San Juan.

I know that there are many others, since Vegan style food has turned quite popular in Puerto Rico.

I'm sure you can find anyplace that suits you, Enjoy and Buen Provecho!

Portland, Oregon
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Vegan/Vegetarian Options in San Juan?

Cafe Berlin was great! Thank you so much for your suggestion - we ate there 3 times. It was a 5 minute walk from our hotel and the staff there was more than happy to comply with our requests for non-dairy dishes. Being able to eat a full, nutritious meal makes traveling so much better. Nothing ruins a trip more than getting stuck eating salad and dry baked potatoes!

Another good (and cheap!) vegan place in Old San Juan we found was Gopal's - a Krishna restaurant. They had traditional rice & beans (w/out pork or lard) and other side dishes. And their vegan carrot cake was amazing - and only $1.25 a slice! The only thing that wasn't great about the restaurant was that we could never figure out the hours. We tried eating there three times, but only managed to catch it open once.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,440 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vegan/Vegetarian Options in San Juan?

I'm so glad that you can enjoy your trip.

Hope to have you in Puerto Rico again!!!!

n.c.
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Vegan/Vegetarian Options in San Juan?

shout out to nyc vegans - an n.c. vegan here who's heading san juan way in a couple of days! was SO glad to read your posts. did you guys leave old san juan? we're only spending a night there (at guest house old san juan) then heading over to culebra to camp for the rest of the time.

anyway, always thrilled to hear from other vegans traveling and still eating the way they want. thanks again...