We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting Around from El Convento

Which San Juan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal, Que
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Getting Around from El Convento

I’m staying at El Convento for 1 week but I’d like to spend time in other areas (Beaches, Condado, Isla Verde) but I don’t plan on renting a car or spending a fortune on taxis. Would I be able to walk to these areas or take public transportation?

Townshend, Vermont
Level Contributor
462 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting Around from El Convento

You can take a bus to all the areas you mentioned; too far to walk.

Cruz Bay, St. John
Level Contributor
468 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting Around from El Convento

Check with the hotel, I think they have a shuttle that takes you to the Condado for free.

Bayamón, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
623 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting Around from El Convento

From the entrance of Old San Juan, Plaza Colon, to the airport, is seven miles. The airport is in Isla Verde.

From Plaza Colon to El Convento should be some half kilometer. Condado is in the middle between the airport and Old San Juan.

That said, you can calculate how far you can walk. Walking from Old San Juan to Condado is feasible if you like walking. It is a very scenic area. Walking from Condado to Ocean Park, right before Isla Verde is feasible too and you can walk along the seashore. That is more fun than sidewalks! :)

If you are willing to walk to some extent but there is no transportation from El Convento to Condado, use the free trolley from the hotel and get off in stop 18A, right by the Capitol building. Then walk to Condado from there.

Other than that, take the bus. You can walk from the hotel to the bus station or take the free trolley to get there.

Questions? Ask!

Juan Carlos Ortega

Puerto Rico

San Juan
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting Around from El Convento

public transportation is available to the areas you mentioned.

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting Around from El Convento

If you are traveling anywhere outside the walled old city at night take a taxi. Crime is an issue.

6. Re: Getting Around from El Convento

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, August 20, 2013