We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great food in SJ

toronto
2 posts
Save Topic
Great food in SJ

What are the best places to go and eat in San Juan?

What are prices like?

Is there a signature dish of PR?

What plates were your favourites?

Level Contributor
405 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great food in SJ

My wife and I had typical Puerto Rican food at Mojito's and Barrachina's. Both were located in Old San Juan. We also had lunch at Metropol - which was across the street from the Ritz Carleton Resort.

Mojito's was a small place, not very hip, but in a good location near the cruise ship ports. They had a great Mofongo - which is a plantain bowl with chicken, shrimp or beef and tomato type stew inside. Very filling. We also had the best calamari ever - the rings were not chewy and were cooked perfectly. The other entree was a garlic shrimp - plenty of garlic and the shrimp were tasty. Price was about $50 for two entrees, the calamari appetizer and a couple of sodas for dinner.

Barrachina's was more hip and had a great courtyard and dining area. Food again was typical Puerto Rican. Lots of colorful art and they give out free samples of pina coladas. Price was about $50 again for two for lunch.

Metropol looked like a locals restaurant. It was attached to a rooster fighting rink. Went for lunch and the crowd looked like locals from the airport - plenty of ID tags. Food had plenty of seafood - shrimps, fried dorado (mahi-mahi). I think it was about $50 for lunch.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Great food in SJ

There are a lot of great restaurants and cafes in San Juan that fit a variety of tastes.

Old San Juan has a foothold on some of the most popular and trendiest restaurants( specializing in creative puertorican or latino fusion cuisine). These places may look small, but they are always very busy and if you are on a tight budget, some can be pricey.

Like TravelerofNJ mentioned, our signature dish is probably the Mofongo- it can be a meal onto itself and after you eat one( especially if it is stuffed)you feel like there might not be a need to eat for days.

Our accompaniments do make our meals unique: from sweet plaintains( amarillos), shredded plantain( aranitas), cornmeal fritters( surullitos), yuca fries( yuca is a root vegetable that esentially tastes like potatoes). Other fritters include: bacalaitos( codfish fritters), alcapurrias, empanadas, and rellenos de papa( stuffed potato fritters). Our signature drink is the Pina Colada( invented right here in San Juan).

My favorite PR dish is the Pastelon- it is a lasagna-like dish but instead of pasta it has alternating layers of sliced sweet plantain and beef- I could eat it every day.

Places to try may be: Amadeus in Old San Juan, Cafe Bohemio( Hotel Convento in Old San Juan), El Patio de Sam in Old San Juan, Casa Borinquen in Old San Juan, the famous Parrot Club in Old San Juan.

There is Ropa Vieja and Ajili -Mojili in Condado; Casa Dante in Isla Verde.

Soleil Beach Club in the Pinones area. The are also kiosks in the Pinones area selling a lot of those wonderful( calorie-packed) fritters.

I hope this is helpful. Enjoy your time in San Juan.

rio grande pr
Level Contributor
288 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Great food in SJ

Puerto Rican cuisine can be found at Ajili Mojili located in Condado. The best restaurant to experience PR cuisine in Puerto Rico and outside of it. the best dish of the country for me is "Asopao de Pollo" with "Tostones" and "Pure de Yuca" , for dessert "Tembleque" and "Arroz con dulce" and then drink Medalla beer with it.