We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Get rid of car or keep it?

danbury, ct
Level Contributor
866 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Get rid of car or keep it?

Hi everyone another question we will be renting a car fron San Juan airport and if any of you have suggestion on a decent rentals place that would be great! We will be driving to Cabo Rojo for the week and seeing all the sights . Planning on coming back to San Juan for two nights before we head home, the question is should we return car when we get back to the city or should we hang on to it. Wiould it be better to use and easy enough to maneuver around or should we use taxi's and buses. ????

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,477 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Get rid of car or keep it?

It's up to you. Parking is not difficult to find in San Juan but it can be expensive.

Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,566 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Get rid of car or keep it?

It would depend on where you area staying. If it is Old San Juan, Isla Verde or Condadoyou do not need a car. Publlic bus is inexpensive and hotel parkings are very expensive. If you are renting an apartment with free parking then keeping teh car would probably make sense even if you hardly use it. The car rentals are so inexpensive here that a taxi trip to Old San Juan and the airport will almost pay for the rental car. you can also consider renting with Charlie, they have a rental clocation in Isla Verde and Condado and you could decide whether to keeo the car or not, once you get to San Juan.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,258 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Get rid of car or keep it?

If you have driven in a big city. You would have no problems. Way the cost of a cab to your hotel and back to the airport vs keeping the rental car. Usually the weekly rate is for 5 to 7 days. So you may not gain anything.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,070 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Get rid of car or keep it?

i would suggest checking prices at priceline.com. you might be surprised how affordable it is. I have found that taxis are not cheap. the cost of a taxi back and forth to someplace is usually around the cost of parking. if you have to pay to park, that is. some hotels offer free parking and it isnt too difficult finding free parking in OSJ,

plus if you have your own car you can do alot more and have more options.

Riverhead, New York
Level Contributor
336 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Get rid of car or keep it?

By all means get rid of the car. The best advice I got from this forum was not to rent a car...no place to park it. If visiting Old San Juan I would not dare try to drive! Ay-yi-yi...the trolley drivers are like the taxi drivers in NYC! narrow streets and too many vehicles!

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Get rid of car or keep it?

I would suggest to keep the car. That way you will be able to mmove anywhere anytime. Streets in OSJ are narrow, but one way. There is plenty of relatively cheap parking inOSJ,sucha as Done Fela's or La Puntilla Parking lots.

7. Re: Get rid of car or keep it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:41 pm, June 20, 2013