We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to stay and snorkel

Marlton, NJ
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to stay and snorkel

Hi,

We are going to PR in June and are planing on staying our first 3 nights in San Juan, then 2 nights in Vieques, and then back to SJ for 2 more nights. My question is, whats the best hotel to stay in JR for snorkeling right off the beach? We want to stay at El Convento for the first 3 nights, but are looking for a beachfront hotel on the last 2 nights after Vieques.

You help will be much appreciated.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,007 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Best place to stay and snorkel

kzdallas.....have you ever been anywher else in PUERTO RICO beyond SAN JUAN ????

DODA

apopka, FL
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Best place to stay and snorkel

Ditto DODA- I've wondered the same thing myself. Some people just seem like they're on a mission to prove (or disprove) some so called "facts".

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,242 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Best place to stay and snorkel

doda -- yes, I've been other places than San Juan. I like Dorado very much. The beaches are very pretty, but not for snorkeling. Luquillo Beach, too, is pretty as are the beaches from Rincon to Aguadilla. And the south -- the Caribbean side -- is prettier in some ways and calmer. El Yunque is a good day trip, etc. But, when it comes to beach time -- snorkeling or otherwise -- I prefer the white sands, calm, aqua waters, and abundant sea life of the US and British Virgins or the Caymans.

I LOVE Puerto Rico for many, many other reasons -- have been there twice in the last five months.

It's simply an observation -- an opinion. Just out of curiosity...have YOU been anywhere else?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,007 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Best place to stay and snorkel

yes kpdallas, have been to other Caribbean islands.... which ones, in my opinion does not matter, as this is a forum for PUERTO RICO . therefore i offer my opinion as to what i find enjoyable when asked !

i happen to prefer PUERTO RICO to other islands in the Caribbean for many reasons ! in my opinion PUERTO RICO simply has it all ! everything from good snorkeling, excellent diving, incredible horse backing, unique natural wonders ( the Rio Camuy Caves, El Yunque rain forest and the 3 bio-bays) , great beaches, mountains, and much ,much more. not to mention the some of warmest and most welcoming people you could ever hope to meet !

when some is looking for suggestions on "where is the best....?" there is no reason to refer then to another island ! in my opinion.

happy and safe travels,

doda

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,242 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Best place to stay and snorkel

doda...since you do not mention other specific islands you have been to in the Caribbean, one can only be skeptical. If you had actually snorkeled or dived in the Caymans or the Virgin Islands of off Palancar Reef in Cozumel you might see things differently.

In any case, this is not a forum for debate. It is open to ALL readers and travelers who want to express an opinion -- either positive or negative -- about resorts, restaurants, shopping, and, yes, even about snorkeling.

As I've said, I LOVE Puerto Rico and have been there twice in five months and look forward to returning -- but not for the snorkeling. There are better places. Period.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,007 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Best place to stay and snorkel

you are correct there is much better snorkeling and diving to be had on other Caribbean islands. that is not my point. my point IS simply there is great snorkeling available in PUERTO RICO. once again, if someone asks "WHERE IS THE BEST PLACE TO SNORKEL IN PUERTO RICO ?" i tell them where they can find it , IN PUERTO RICO ! as of yet no one has asked on THIS forum "WHERE IS THE BEST SNORKELING IN THE CARIBBEAN ?"get my point ??

happy and safe travels,

doda

Spartanburg, South...
Level Contributor
961 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Best place to stay and snorkel

You can also do excursions. We went on the Spread Eagle II. Great snorkling, good food and drink, a great sail boat, lots of fun! We snorkled at two different locations. One was a private island...we couldn't go on land but the snorkling off the coast was very good. It was all day counting leaving the hotel (caribe hilton) and returning...we had a great time.

18. Re: Best place to stay and snorkel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:26 am, August 15, 2009