We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charlie's Rental Car

Tucson, AZ
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Charlie's Rental Car

I just called Charlies based on reviews read here. I found a much cheaper rate at Avis for jeep rental. I called the 1800 number for Charlies several times before someone answered. I asked the rep about the price match, and he said I need to rent the car from Avis then show up at Charlies with my receipt. I said "I just show up at Charlies, and you will match the rate?" He said "Yeah, I guess." I think I will be going with Avis.

Armonk, New York
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Charlie's Rental Car

Avis's prices on Jeeps, of which they got a good supply last year, is better than Charlie's. They also seem to do better on Mini-vans. Charlies seems more competitive on standard sedans.

I have rented a Jeep from Avis three times so far this year and no issues.

San Juan
Level Contributor
11 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Charlie's Rental Car

Hello, I want to clarify our olicy which by the way is clearly stated on our web-site www.charliecarrentalpr.com

There has clearly been miscommunication as it would not be resonable for a client rent a vehicle then have to take it back if a price is matched. Below is our price match policy:

We will match ANY price you may find from our local competitors.*

*Subject to vehicle availability and applicable during low seasons only. (January 15 - June 10 & September 1 – December 10) Also does not apply to long weekends or any holidays in between. A valid comparable quote must be shown indicating the SAME dates, times, car class, rate details including all fees and office location as quoted by Charlie Car Rental. Any quote must be shown 24 hours prior to your rental date. No competitors quote will be accepted the same day as your rental.

Thank you for letting us know about this issue: Jose A. Martinez President Charlie Car Rental.

Edited: 9:18 am, April 30, 2012
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Charlie's Rental Car

The staff was beyond disrespectful. They took over 45 minutes to pick us up from the airport at the beginning of our trip. While leaving PR they attempted to leave with only ONE person in the shuttle... We had to rush to remind them we were there and ready to leave. Then in addition to all of the pervious horrible service, they tried to charge us $250 for a "dent" on a car so banged up when we got it, I was surprised it wasn't in the junk yard.... Never rent for from there. Save yourself the trouble!

Canterbury...
Level Contributor
842 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Charlie's Rental Car

We just returned and rented from Charlie's.....We had no issues and would rent from them again. With all their great reviews from valid TA members, I'd trust those first. :)

Edited: 10:01 pm, March 23, 2013
Armonk, New York
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Charlie's Rental Car

In several years of following this forum, I have found the reviews of Charlies service consistently highly favorable. The original poster raised a legitimate question about one of Charlies policies and the President of the company addressed it quickly and appropriately. Something that others agencies who get comments here never do. Charlies clearly values their reputation.

I find the negative comment from Kbnoit2593, a one time poster who has no profile information, curious. I have seen Charlies cars on the road hundreds of times (they have "Charlies" bumper stickers) and they have always been new and never been beat up. The service complaint is very inconsistent with the dozens of compliments reported here. Sometimes a post is made by a competitor or someone else with an axe to grind. Weather or not this was the case, I believe that Charlies is (unfortunately) one of the few great service rental agencies on the island.

I usually use Avis because it is on airport and is one of the other great service locations, and recommended them above. I only wish there were more good rental companies on the island.

Edited: 8:28 am, March 24, 2013
noh
st. petersburg...
Level Contributor
167 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Charlie's Rental Car

Just rented three cars from Charliesx yesterday for us and a bunch of adult kids with multiple drivers. Agent was very helpful on finding most efficient cheapest permutations. Did not try to upsell us anything. In fact when trying decide on $10 per car toll pass, he advised against it based on our likely routes and said we always call in later and add them on the spot if need be. Can't speak to Jeeps or minivans but told my wife it was one of my best rental car experiences. Felt like really good personal service.

OHIO
Level Contributor
230 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Charlie's Rental Car

We rented from them in early march. Service was a bit slow and the car was definitely not new, but they were nice and the car worked well. Not sure if speed of service was slow because of the company or because it was "island time". But we waited a bit at the airport, while all the other vans from rental agencies were flying by, then it took at least 45 min. To check in and out. We had no problems with the car during our trip. We would rent from them again, just wish the process could be faster.

Chicago, Illinois
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Charlie's Rental Car

I actually rented the auto referenced in kbenoits post. We travel to PR yearly and finally decided that it would be good to support local business. The experience was awful. When we arrived , called for a pick up. Waited over an hour and a half with a number of calls to the office. When we got to the office was informed that we were past the hour over our reservation so our reserved rate was no longer valid. After convincing them that the delay was because we were not picked up, they gave us our car. The rear was smashed, tail light broken , scratches and dents over the entire vehicle. Spent 20 minutes trying to list everything. When returned a week later, they inspected the vehicle. Came back and said that there was a ding on the door that I had to pay for. The counter workers were speaking spanish, laughing and high fiving each other. I kept objecting to any charge as there was no way that we had caused any damage. Finally, was successful. My family was outside with the van during all of this trying to make the driver wait with its single passenger. Although my husband was with me, I had made the travel arrangements so dealt with Charlie's both in picking up and returning the vehicle. Quite frankly, I believe that they thought they could take advantage of me. I will never again rent from them. Absolutely the worst experience I ever have had with a car rental anywhere including all of the national companies that the forums caution against using.

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Charlie's Rental Car

No profile?

Armonk, New York
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Charlie's Rental Car

Hmmm - how did Chicago0312 know that they had the same car as kbenoit2593?