We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bioluminescent Bay

Which San Juan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Naperville, IL
8 posts
Save Topic
Bioluminescent Bay

Our cruise ship docks at 3 and my family would love to do this kayak excursion in Fajardo. The slots through the ship are all booked. Anyone ever take a taxi to the Bay and book with the park independently? Any idea of cost for each way?

Thanks,

Diana

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,921 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bioluminescent Bay

Taxi from Old San Juan to Fajardo will be about $80 one way for up to 5 people. Getting a taxi for the return trip could be a bit of a challenge.

An important thing to consider is what time your ship is scheduled to depart. If you book independently, you run the risk of not making it back to the ship on time. With docking scheduled for 3pm, you should be able to make it to Fajardo for the "early" tour. Figure close to 1.5 hour drive each way.

There is no "park" to book with. You would book with an individual tour operator. You can find a list of all licensed operators for the Fajardo bio bay in our blog ... www.puertoricodaytrips.com/fajardo-bio-bay/

Naperville, IL
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bioluminescent Bay

Thank you very much. I'll check out the blog and go from there.

Diana

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bioluminescent Bay

Make sure you go on a moonless or near moonless night or you won't have the full affect of the bioluminescence. Check the moon calendar for the best nights to take the tour. www.biobay.com

Armonk, New York
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bioluminescent Bay

Renting a car will be cheaper and I would recommend it.

Quincy
Level Contributor
94 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bioluminescent Bay

I second the rent a car option. Even if it cost you $100 for the day it would be cheaper and you would have the freedom to have your transportation back to the ship.

The drive to Fajardo is pretty straight forward, half is regular highway and the second half is 2 lane divided highway, but traffic lights every half mile or so. Plenty of fast food along the way , basically looks like many of the roads in Florida

Naperville, IL
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bioluminescent Bay

Thank you all for your wisdom. I will look in to the rental option. I'm sure they service the cruise ships.

Even if it is $100, it will be roughly $280 vs. $380 - 420

I realize if this is what we opt for, there is no time for San Juan proper, so maybe we chuck this idea in favor of Segway around the historic area..

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,798 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bioluminescent Bay

I would never consider it on your own unless your ship doesn't leave until midnight.

If you go with the ship excursion, they will hold the ship if there is a problem and you are delayed. It is about 1 hr away and accidents/construction/weather all can wreak havoc with traffic. You would have to add in time for returning of the rental. It might be more stressful than fun.

8. Re: Bioluminescent Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:30 am, March 21, 2013