We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do I want to buy in San Juan?

Which San Juan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
USA
Level Contributor
170 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
What do I want to buy in San Juan?

Besides Rum, what do I want to buy in San Juan---things that are "San Juan" and/or "Puerto Rico"? Things that are unique to the area, for myself and for family/friends.....Thanks!

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What do I want to buy in San Juan?

Authentic Puerto Rican made souvenirs can be found at:

Puerto Rican Arts & Crafts

787-725-5596

204 Fortaleza St.

Old San Juan

Edited: 9:23 pm, February 20, 2012
usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What do I want to buy in San Juan?

You may also want to visit Plaza Las Americas, the largest mall in the Caribbean. They have stores with uniquely Puerto Rican merchandise.

USA
Level Contributor
170 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What do I want to buy in San Juan?

PERFECT, thanks so much!!!

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
3,460 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What do I want to buy in San Juan?

I don't know how unique this is to Puerto Rico, but it will be our one and only trip souviner.. We're going to buy another little butterfly wall display from the Butterfly People in Old San Juan. They are beautiful wall displays and so much higher quality than anything I've seen anywhere else (but it's not like I do that much shopping and get out and about all over the world. I'm just a tourist who has looked around a few gift shops on a few travel here and there, not an experienced shopper, someone who visits art galleries, explores options for items ike ths on the internet or anything.) We purchased our first one in 1995 on our first trip to Puerto Rico when we wandered into their store. We are going back to Puerto Rico in March of 2013 and will make our second purchse.

Here's a link, though.

butterflypeople.com/art/butterfly_tour.htm // I don't see any pictures of actual displays on their website. But you might want to stop in and see what you think.

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What do I want to buy in San Juan?

This is what I would buy:

-Puertorrican coffee

-a Typical Vegigante mask

-Richard's chocolates

-an artisan wood carved item (birds, saints, wood carved mortar & pestle (for your mofongo and adobo or just for decorting your kitchen),etc.

-typical sweets (candies)

-PR serigraphs

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What do I want to buy in San Juan?

I agree that the butterfly displays are unique and beautiful, but they are not typical of Puerto Rico, since none of the butterflies are indigenous to Puerto Rico. They were harvested from other countries.

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What do I want to buy in San Juan?

You may want to purchase "guayabera" shirts for any men you'd like to buy gifts for. It's a unique shirt that is popular in PR and Latin America.

Below is a sample:

…olx.com.co/camisas-guayaberas-iid-156921482

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What do I want to buy in San Juan?

Good idea, prexplorer! There are also "Guayaberas" for women, they are made as shirts and as dresses. Beautiful!

St Thomas, VI
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
7,713 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What do I want to buy in San Juan?

I always buy "musical" instruments. I love to see the people from Puerto Rico singing and playing their instruments when they come here on cruises. I'm trying to get up the courage to play along!

In addition to rum, you might want to buy coquito. Delicious!

Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,550 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What do I want to buy in San Juan?

Definitely coffee. Our coffee was served in the Vatican for many years, not sure if our coffee is the one still service there, but for me is the best in the world.