We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Biobay

Which San Juan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brossard, Canada
Level Contributor
231 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Biobay

Can anyone point me to a biobay tour from San Juan?

Is it worth it? We are in SJ for only 4 days..

Thanks

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,800 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Biobay

"Worth it" all depends on the moon. You can check a bio bay moon calendar to make sure it is a good night to go (the less moon the better).

A number of companies offer transportation from SJ (for a fee of course). For Fajardo bio bay, check with: Kayaking Puerto Rico, Yokahu, EcoAdventures (Travelers)...maybe some others.

For Vieques bio bay , check with East Island Excursions.

Brossard, Canada
Level Contributor
231 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Biobay

What's the difference between Fajardo bio bay and Vieques bio bay?? I'll probably be in puerto rico just no time in my life so I want the real deal :)

thanks

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,800 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Biobay

The bio bay on Vieques "glows " more since it has more dynoflagalites in it per gallon. There is also less ambient light, so you see the glow better.

However, it is not easy to get to Vieques (as it is another island), so the price to do it from the main island is higher.

The bio bay in Fajardo is very healthy and glows well, but there is more ambient light, so it does reduce the effect somewhat.

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Biobay

Both are awesome!!

The Vieques Biobay is a little brighter than the Fajardo Biobay. Another difference is that the Fajardo biobay is on the big island, PR, per se, and that to see the Vieques biobay, you either need to stay in Vieques 1 night or do the trip in the evening with East Island Exc. leaving early in the evening and returning late at night,

Kayak tour goes for around $45 pp in Fajardo's biobay,

East Island's to / from Vieques + biobay around $100 pp

Since your trip is rather short, I wolud advise the Fajardo,

Edited: 6:32 am, January 28, 2012
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Biobay

Do you need to go with a tour company if you are doing the Fajardo biobay? Can you just kayak out there yourself? Sorry I know this is probably a silly question but I haven't been before and trying to figure out what we will definitely need to book tours for..

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,800 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Biobay

Individuals can go into the biobay in their own kayaks.

However, you would need to rent a kayak and transport it there yourselves (you need straps and transport cushions) , have the little glow sticks etc. Kayaks are not that light, taking them on and off the roof of the car can easily damage the car, leading to extra charges from the rental. And kayak rental rates are not that cheap.

Check it all out, but you really might just like taking the tour and not worrying about renting and lugging the kayak around. Kayak tours start at $40 pp.

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,921 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Biobay

You need to go with one of the licenses companies who provide kayaks and lead groups into the lagoon.

Where would you get a kayak otherwise?

Bridgeport...
Level Contributor
234 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Biobay

do the companies pick you up in san juan or should i rent a car?

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,921 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Biobay

Some companies can provide (or arrange) transportation for an extra charge. Depending on the number of people in your party, it may be more economical to rent a car.

Bridgeport...
Level Contributor
234 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Biobay

5 people. Probably better to rent. Huh?