We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bio Bay in Farjado

Which San Juan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
403 posts
208 reviews
Save Topic
Bio Bay in Farjado

My wife are visiting San Juan next week for the 1st time. Staying at the Caribe Hilton and not planning on renting a car.

She is interested in visiting the bio bay in Farjado, but we hear the Vieques bay is much better, though you have to stay the night. Is it worth visiting Farjado then?

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
144 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Bio Bay in Farjado

Next week the biobay in Fajardo will be very good because we will not be in the full moon cycle anymore. There are several operators that provide the tour into that biobay amongst them ExoXcursion. They have been providing this tour for over seven years and are very safety conscious. They also can provide you with round trip transportation if needed from the San Juan area so you dont have to worry about renting a car. They do have a website in the works www.ecoxcursion.com which you can check out.

Have fun in Puerto Rico and dont forget to check out the rainforest as well.

Level Contributor
1,109 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bio Bay in Farjado

East Island Excursions offers a trip to the Vieques Biobay that will get you back to Fajardo by about 10:30pm. I do believe that they even pick up from the metro hotels. Their web site is www.eastwindcats.com

Puerto Rico
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Bio Bay in Farjado

Been to the Fajardo BioBay about eight times. Never disappointed, sometimes awestruck.

Tried to get the the Vieques Bay twice - rained out both times (Vieques tour operator told us that despite making it good and dark, the rain diminishes the brightness and he recommended we not go that night).

This doesn't mean that it rains too much in Vieques, and though I've also heard it is better, I've not had the opportunity for comparison. Actually went there one day while checking all the beaches along the south coast, but of course it was daytime.

There is another BioBay in Guanica, in the south west. I've heard it has diminished but that's just rumor - take it for what its worth. It's next to the Dry Forest - a nice thing to do during the day. But Guanica is a long haul from SJ.

Two reccos- 1) Take a package trip from the Hilton - van, kayaks, etc - the traffic will stink on the way out, but at least you aren't doing the driving. or-

2) Lean on the concierge to see if they can hook you up with someone that takes you out in a 'power boat' - a very little skiff with a little tiny motor. The reason to consider this is that its a 1/2 - 3/4 mile paddle through the mangrove to get to the bay and on most nights, paddling in or out will be against the tide. You'll need a little upper body strength and endurance to do that. Plus its easier to get in and out of the skiff to swim in the bay.

I had success working the concierge at the El Conquistador (in Fajardo) for this because the party included two (active) 90-year olds who would not have shared such an amazing natural wonder with their great-grandchildren otherwise. (Its not about laziness - for all the nature-folks who have their dander up) Unfortunately Freddie lost his cell phone so I've lost him.

Other recco - There are some nice snorkeling tours from Fajardo. One I've taken leaves FAJ around 8:30 in a motorized catamaran running to a spot off Culebra in less that 30 mins. Anchor for 90 min of snorkeling (they have gear) then cruise around the island and anchor off Flamenco Beach (A++) for three hours. Swim ashore and enjoy a top-5 Caribbean Beach. Then back to FAJ by 4:30-5:00. They provide food (good - not 'gourmet' as advertised) and all beverages (including bottomless Rum Punch if you are so inclined) $79 pp

east of the...
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Bio Bay in Farjado

I did the bio bay in Fajardo and it was great...BUT...I do wish that I was better prepared for the long paddle!! There were places that it was hard!, especially in the ocean on the way to the mangrove. I was also freezing and had to drive back pretty wet with salt water. Oh yeah...and I didn't think to bring bug spray!

Now that I know what to expect, I am planning another trip! I'll bring a gallon of fresh water to clean up with, a towel, a sweatshirt, bugspray, and a change of clothes!

Have fun!

Level Contributor
1,109 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bio Bay in Farjado

Please don't lean on anyone to tell you about an unlicensed operator who goes into the biobay. Natives of PR should understand the harm they are doing to the biobay when they promote this type of activity. There are strict regulations in place to PROTECT these natural resources so that our children for generations to come can also enjoy them. Currently there are NO motor boats allowed in Vieques biobay, and the government has issued only one license for an operator in Fajardo. If you do not want to kayak, there is ONE legal and licensed motor boat operator who is allowed into the biobay and that is Captain Suarez. His number is 787-556-8291 or 787-244-1545. No one should be using unlicensed operators even if the price is less then a licensed company or tour operator. The kayak trip is not that difficult and you should really try to do it this way unless you have children under the age of 6 or you have physical limitations where then Captain Suarez would be the way to go. You also need to let your tour guide know if you are having difficulty with the paddeling, they are being paid to assist you and to make sure you have a good experience. There are many operators out there so ask questions when you make your reservations (Will your guides assist if we are having difficulty paddeling? Will your guides help us back into the kayak if we want to get out and swim?). They should also be providing you with information so that you will be prepared and have a good time. (1. Mosquito repellant without DEET 2. Footwear that can get wet 3. Towel or dry clothes for after the trip)

Remember too that the bigger companies or companies with the largest advertizing budgets are not necessarily the best ones out there.

New York, NY
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bio Bay in Farjado

Thank you so much Pils...Im going to Puerto Rico next week and will take change of clothes, bug spray and towels on the Fajardo tour.

I had a quick question...I need a tour...Is it better to do one with the hotel (we're staying at El Conquistador) or should we try to find one on a website (and if so, which one is the best) We're not very good Kayakers (but want to do it) and need a good tour.

thank you!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,007 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Bio Bay in Farjado

try EAST ISLAND EXCURSIONS. they are in FAJARDO there web site is www.eastwindcats.com

good luck,

doda

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
144 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Bio Bay in Farjado

If you are staying in El Conquistador then you dont have to book the tour thru them. All you need to do is take the funicular down to the marina and then walk a short distance to a park. In this park you will see the tour operators and based on who you feel more comfortable with, you can then book your spaces direct. This will save you a lot of money.

Have fun

Hoffman Estates, IL
Level Contributor
514 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bio Bay in Farjado

We're staying at the Paradisius. How far is it to the bay and also, can anyone recommend an operator who will pick us up as we will not have a car. Thanks!

PR
Level Contributor
105 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bio Bay in Farjado

does anyone know which company gives the Fajardo biobay tour on electric boats?