We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Old San Juan walking tour

Which San Juan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,644 posts
245 reviews
Save Topic
Best Old San Juan walking tour

I have been researching some walking tours of Old San Juan and have found many that seem great. Is there one or two that someone has done and really recommends?

Where can I obtain a good map to use for this tour?

I plan to give myself the entire day, if needed, and will be a solo female traveler. I definitely want to visit the fort!

Bayamón, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
623 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Old San Juan walking tour

Old San Juan is a small grid of streets without a chance to get lost. They are either North-South or East-West. Besides, it is a hill. You either go up to the Atlantic Ocean or down to the bay and piers. There is no way lose your bearings walking around.

That means no matter how far you walk you can get back easily to your starting point.

All of the above is about walking without a tour if you decide so.

Questions? Ask!

Juan Carlos Ortega

Puerto Rico

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,644 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Old San Juan walking tour

Thanks, Juan. I would like to find a "guide" or map persay that lists what the different buildings are and some info about them. Although it sounds like I won't get lost, I do enjoy learning about my surroundings when possible.

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,790 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Old San Juan walking tour

Just go to Travelmapspr.com and download the map

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,872 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Old San Juan walking tour

We've written up a self-guided walking tour of Old San Juan in 3 parts for our blog. You might find it helpful ... puertoricodaytrips.com/old-san-juan-walking-…

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,644 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Old San Juan walking tour

Perfect, thank you! I've been using the PR day trips site often during my planning :)

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Old San Juan walking tour

extremely helpful. Thank you so much.

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
10 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Old San Juan walking tour

I printed this and used it in February, 2012. It is excellent! I would, however, like to make one thing VERY clear. If you choose to walk the entire wall ( Paseo del Morro) do be advised that IT ENDS. You must turn around and walk the 3/4 mile back. Knowing that, It is indeed VERY hot, or can be, there is no shade at all, and when I was there, there were NO WORKING WATER FOUNTAINS! Thus, I recommend printing the map - it is very good - but ***bring along a decent supply of water or fluid, wear a hat, sunscreen, comfortable shoes, and do not forget your camera.

I am returning here in two weeks and once again will utilize this map. I do not know if anything has changed on this part of the walk as far as available water? Thus I will be better prepared. I found no problems at all with the rest of this 'walking tour.' Enjoy!

Ray

Valley Stream, New...
Level Contributor
41 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Old San Juan walking tour

We got back from Puerto Rico a few weeks ago. I feel that I must write a review regarding your site and walking tour (written in three parts). IT IS AN EXCELLENT GUIDE. Do not leave home without it. You really don't even need a map. We did part one including El Morro the first day then took the trolley down to the restaurants near the Chris Columbus statue. The second day we did part 3 including Fort San Cristobal. Absolutely excellent. Kids enjoyed following the itinerary - it was like we were following a treasure map to find the forts. Lots of extras on the way - like the pelican and fisherman casting their nets and the mango ices (helios??) Thank you for this. I hope everyone prints out a copy

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
8 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Old San Juan walking tour

This was extremely helpful information ! thank you for posting!

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
83 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Old San Juan walking tour

Can any of the experts on this site speak to any dangers in walking in the area called La Perla for those not familiar with Old San Juan?