We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wire my money to a bank in Spain?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Wire my money to a bank in Spain?

We want to rent out a 3 bedroom condo and found one via Trip Advisor on the el Conquistador Hotel grounds. Elena Mayor Mir. wants me to wire a 50% down payment, which is $1025 to a bank in Spain. She says it is their policy... I suppose I would never be able to get that money back should there be a problem. How do I know this is a legitimate deal?

Bayamón, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
627 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Wire my money to a bank in Spain?

Theirs, who? I suppose she should have some kind of business with a website or contact information. Should you contact the hotel and ask? Just the thought of they could know her as a client or agent, or just are tired of knowing someone posing under differnet names to scam unwary travelers. I hope the latter is not the case.

Questions? Ask!

Juan Carlos Ortega

Puerto Rico

San Juan
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wire my money to a bank in Spain?

there are a couple of banks from Spain that do operate in Puerto Rico, the largest one is Santander and do have branches all over the country, including the tourist zones of Condado and Isla Verde

Edited: 6:56 am, November 15, 2011
San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wire my money to a bank in Spain?

I would NEVER risk sending a wire transfer to a bank in Spain as advance payment for a rental property in PR. Look for some other property through a registered& licensed realtor.

Make sure she is asking to send the money to a bank in Spain, and not to one of the spanish banks in PP "BBV" (Banco Bilbao Vizcaya ) or Banco Santander

Edited: 10:58 am, November 15, 2011
Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
4,162 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wire my money to a bank in Spain?

With so much fraud going on, I would find another place were you can pay with amex.The deposit is not peanuts and Spain is far away

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wire my money to a bank in Spain?

I would run, RUN from this deal! Too much risk you will have no money and no place in the end!

We had neighbors have their house "rented" as a scam. Renters didn't know they were scammed until they showed up with a packed moving truck after having moved across the state. It is happening all the time now.

If you really want it, I would ask them to provide you with contact information for prior rental tenants for references.

Level Contributor
9,167 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wire my money to a bank in Spain?

Don't do it.

Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wire my money to a bank in Spain?

If you cannot pay by credit card do not rent it. There are many vacation rentals in the area that can be rented by credit card.

Edited: 5:36 pm, November 15, 2011
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wire my money to a bank in Spain?

You could rent a 3 bedroom condo inside the Conquistador and pay by credit card at: www.lascasitasvillage.com

Similar to the Conquistador condos are the beachfront villas at the Wydnham Rio Mar Resort. There also are 3 bedroom villas. The resort agents accept credit cards Their website is: www.resortvillarentals.com

Edited: 5:43 pm, November 15, 2011
San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
60 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wire my money to a bank in Spain?

do not trust wire transfers its the common scam.

Bayamón, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
627 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Wire my money to a bank in Spain?

You should expose the full contact information for that person so we all know better what to expect if she is still around. If she runs a legitimate business, great. If not, then other people reading here will avoid losing their money.

Questions? Ask!

Juan Carlos Ortega

Puerto Rico