We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The day that will not plan

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
268 posts
126 reviews
Save Topic
The day that will not plan

My wife and I are spending a few days in San Juan. We have planned several things for the friday we are there and they always fall through. Cant do Ponce because of transportation issues, Cannot go extreme caving because they are closed the day we are there, cannot go to Culebra because we may not get Ferry tickets when we show up etc etc etc.

NOW I am deciding either Pinones or another day in Old San Juan. Thing is is there a bus line from Isla Verde to Pinones? AND/OR do we really need two days in old san juan? Also if you have any off the beaten path suggestions for two nature loving hikers PLEASE CHIME IN! Thanks again!

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,940 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: The day that will not plan

Will you have a rental car? You'll need one for these ...

These are all "off the beaten path" and free ...

* Cueva Ventana

* Cueva del Indio in Arecibo

* Los Prieto Falls

* Northeast Ecological Corridor

* Hike in Toro Negro forest

* Cueva del Viento & the trails in Guajataca Forest

* Charco Azul & the Carite Forest

* Hike El Toro trail in El Yunque

* Hike La Coca Trail in El Yunque

You can get details about each of these places in our blog ... http://www.prdaytrips.com/

Hope this gives you some ideas!

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
268 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The day that will not plan

Sorry we are not going to be driving are there transportation options other than driving to these places? If not we cant do it. Thanks

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,082 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The day that will not plan

you say no to Culebra because of the ferry issues. how did you plan on getting to the ferry. a taxi to there is about $80, or more. you can spend a little more and fly. if you took the ferry you would waste your time anyway since you seem to want to come back the same day. not really wise.

fly there

or to Vieques.

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The day that will not plan

Yes there is an AMA bus that goes through Isla Verde to Pinones. It's the C-45 and the route goes Airport-Isla Verde-Pinones-Loiza

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
268 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The day that will not plan

frankipoo, I done my research and everyone knows NOT to take taxis. the publico prices are really low and nowhere near teh cost of flying. I think its funny everyone thinks tourist to san juan have lots of money. I save save save and save to do my trips. I am considered very poor by american standards. I do things cheap so I can do them at all. :)

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,082 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The day that will not plan

i used the term taxi as a generic term to include publicos.

if you think you would possibly take a series of publicos from san juan to fajardo, good luck. it can be done ofcourse, but you would have to start out the night before to make it to the first ferry. thats an exaggeration ofcourse, but you may not make the first ferry if you try to get to it by publico. and if you are not staying overnight and you cant be on the first ferry, dont bother.

taking the plane allows the maximun amount of time on the island.

i did not know how poor you are.

keep in mind the responses to a specific thread are read by many people and is meant to help them as much as the author. hopefully the info given will help someone.

oh, and im american and not rich. im blue collar and work hard for my money. but i go away to spend as much time at the destination and the least amount of time getting to it.

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
268 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The day that will not plan

AGAIN using what you just said ITS TOO COMPLICATED to get to culebra SO we need somthing else. Everything we plan for this day ends up this way.

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,642 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The day that will not plan

you can rent a car for a about $ 28 a day in San Juan. That and the cost of gas and driving to some of tnese palces comes out fairly inexpensively!

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
268 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The day that will not plan

*sigh* We dont wanna rent a car. we have seen pictures of the traffic there and we dont want to deal with it. Vacation is not suppose to be stressful. lol

San Juan
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The day that will not plan

I would not mind 2 days in ''old'' san juan if i were a tourist.

bus route to Condado is 53

bus route to Isla Verde is 53 or T5

bus route to Piñones is 43 (like Sunmoon well said) but you need to take bus route to Isla Verde and make a conection with this bus.