We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sixt Car Rental Puerto Rico - Warning!

San Antonio, Texas
4 posts
Save Topic
Sixt Car Rental Puerto Rico - Warning!

I made a reservation with Sixt. When I arrived in PR vehicle was not available until the following day. I tried driving to Cabo Rojo but never made it due to a bad tire. I had to buy a tire, at Sixt's advice, but never made it to the hotel because another tire gave out. I called Roadside Assiatance to come get us. My entire family's lives were at risk because Sixt did not check the vehicle's conditions. Never received an apology, or phone call until I went back to Sixt. Horrible experience.

46 replies to this topic
Armonk, New York
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sixt Car Rental Puerto Rico - Warning!

I believe, in general, that you are better off with the name brand rental companies, with the exception of Hertz who's SJU location has gotten consistent and significantly negative reviews in this forum. There are a couple of other local firms which people have had good experiences with, but I have personally not found that any of then give better rates than Avis (which I use with a corporate rate) on rentals greater than a week. I assume the other majors are competitive.

Sedona, Arizona
Level Contributor
29 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sixt Car Rental Puerto Rico - Warning!

Thanks for your warning. I visit PR at least once a year and have had consistently bad car rental service from the companies outside the airport, and Hertz even though it is at the airport.

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,940 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sixt Car Rental Puerto Rico - Warning!

"name brand rental companies"?

Sixt, though relatively new to PR (couple of years), is an international car rental company, not a "local firm".

Not affiliated with them, just pointing out the fact.

San Antonio, Texas
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sixt Car Rental Puerto Rico - Warning!

Well, they are very unprofessional. One of the employees called my cell phone the day after I arrived and asked where I was because they were at my hotel (at noon) to deliver the car and I wasn't there. I was walking around near the hotel, and she had the nerve to ask why I didn't stay at the hotel! Like I traveled to PR to stay in my hotel room for 2 days! And the manager lied to me all morning asking me to give them 30 more minutes. Every 30 minutes I was told they were changing the oil, washing the vehicle, and other excuses!

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,552 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sixt Car Rental Puerto Rico - Warning!

Even brand name rental companies offer bad servive in PR. Hertz and Budget are good examples of this. When it comes to renting a car in PR, one is better off making a decision based on the companies' reviews.

st. croix virgin...
Level Contributor
28 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sixt Car Rental Puerto Rico - Warning!

I used sixt car rental in puerto rico at 154 benitez castano santurce puerto rico. I did not have a bad experience, the manager, the guy who did maintenance and the girl who assisted the manager were all pleasant. Everyone has different opinions on where to go and who to use. I am looking into someone who will have 24 hour road assistance this time around. I plan to be on the road in the night not extremely late because my kids will be with me and my husband. Overall I had a great experience with sixt.

San Antonio, Texas
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sixt Car Rental Puerto Rico - Warning!

Sixt Employees were indeed pleasant most of the time. My main concern was that they rented a vehicle that put our family's lives in great danger. Vehicle condition was unacceptable! The tires were about to blow out, and they were perfectly aware of it because they admitted that when they rented the vehicle the tire warning light was on.

Rockford, Illinois
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sixt Car Rental Puerto Rico - Warning!

I've used Charlies Car Rental a couple of times and had no problems whatsoever. Sorry you had to go through this :(

San Antonio, Texas
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Sixt Car Rental Puerto Rico - Warning!

I've read good reviews about Charlie's. I'll try them next time!

Nogales, Arizona
Level Contributor
1 post
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sixt Car Rental Puerto Rico - Warning!

Worst car rental experience ever. When I rented car lot attendant spent at least 5 minutes examining and marking every slight ding or scratch and marking on car diagram which I signed and got a copy of. So intensive that I commented to my son it looked like we were being set up for a scam. When we returned later today lot attendant went out to examine car again. Came back saying car had damages. Girl at counter said I would be charged for this and she would have to figure out charges ( they had held extra $500 on my card "just in case"). I asked to see damages and they showed me a "scratch" on front wheel well, which I rubbed off (it was dirt) and a ding on rear fender, which was noted on original form as a scratch. Took me 40 minutes arguing with everyone there to avoid being charged. Missed our dinner reservations because of this. Oh, and car had 48,000 miles with bad brakes that squealed when applied. Stay away from this company.

Reply to: Sixt Car Rental Puerto Rico - Warning!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted