We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best Authentic Restaurants near La Concha

Which San Juan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
183 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
best Authentic Restaurants near La Concha

Coming to San Juan for July 4th weekend! What are the best restaurants for authentic Puerto Rican food near La Concha? I posted a few days ago asking and someone responded with italian restaurants, chinese food, pizza, etc. which is NOT what I am looking for- I can get all that at home. I want good Puerto Rican restaurants for under $70 for dinner. Any tips? Ideas? Other cuisines/places you can't find in the US??

Also...is Perla really worth the price? I've heard mixed reviews that it's not that great?

Milford, MA
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best Authentic Restaurants near La Concha

We haven't visited many restaurants in the San Juan area, but my one suggestion would be La Casita Blanca in Santurce. We had a very inexpensive dinner there last year. The environment is very family-oriented and "homey" but the food is authentic and excellent.

Here's a TA link w/ reviews... tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g147320-d8…

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
2,535 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best Authentic Restaurants near La Concha

Rachael Ray did her $30 a Day show in San Juan and made a stop at La Casita Blanca...it is on my list for 4th of July weekend!

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,921 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: best Authentic Restaurants near La Concha

Don't get your hopes up based on Rachael Ray's $40 a Day in Puerto Rico. That episode first aired in July 2005 ... Prices have gone up since then!

Mayaguez, Puerto...
Level Contributor
50 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best Authentic Restaurants near La Concha

Across the street from La Concha, there's Orozco's Restaurant. The food is tasty, authentic Puerto Rican food, and it's fairly inexpensive.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g147320-d2…

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
2,535 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best Authentic Restaurants near La Concha

Doesn't matter what year it is, I really don't think there is such thing as $40 a day with the way she does things...exactly why that show is now gone. I was simply going for the food, don't care how much it costs. Also making a note of Orozco's - thanks!!!

Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,550 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best Authentic Restaurants near La Concha

Casa Lola Restaurant recently opened it is very close to La Concha. It is a restaurant in a beautiful mansion by very popular Chef Roberto Treviño. Criollo cuisine presented in creative manner.

(787) 998-2918 - 1006 Ashford Avenue, San Juan, PR 00907

San Juan
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best Authentic Restaurants near La Concha

my strong recomendation is Casa Lola, a new restaurant were you can have puerto rican dishes. Try the traditional dish Arroz con Pollo and a plate of mofongo as a side dish.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
2,535 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best Authentic Restaurants near La Concha

Decided on Casa Lola and I will be dreaming about that food for a long time!!! We shared 3 appetizers and we both had excellent dinners and then shared dessert - cheese flan, out of this world! . EVERYTHING was spectacular including the very friendly and very helpful service and food presentation. Our waiter was Juan Carlos and I cannot say enough about how charming he was. On top of his game and very knowledgeable with the menu. If they are new, then I am happy that we saw them very busy this past weekend.

Vernon, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best Authentic Restaurants near La Concha

Casa Lola was a great choice for our dinner. We went on a Wednesday night and needed reservations. The food was very fresh and many items were distinctive to the area.

Our 16 year old with a picky appetite enjoyed the shared appetizer and he said their filet mignon with Bacardi sauce was the best meal on our trip. That says alot.

Service was first rate and our waiter Alejandro was incredible.

I highly reccomend Casa Lola.

Grand Haven...
Destination Expert
for Grand Haven, Michigan
Level Contributor
945 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best Authentic Restaurants near La Concha

Based on recommendations for real food, we ate at Cafe El Punto in OSJ and had a great meal. I had avocados stuffed with chicken and my wife had grouper. Both were excellent and the atmosphere is definitely authentic!