We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

InterContinental -- seeking advice, and about restaurants...

Which San Juan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
InterContinental -- seeking advice, and about restaurants...

We're coming to the InterCon. week after next. Questions: 1) Do you have to reserve a chair at the pool early on in order to get one? How about at the beach? 2)Does anyone know an honest, reliable driver/car service to take us to the Caves? and 3) Any fun restaurant suggestions to take my two tween/teen girls to, in San Juan or Old San Juan? Thanks all!

Bettendorf, Iowa
Level Contributor
108 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: InterContinental -- seeking advice, and about restaurants...

I recommend getting to the pool early. There always seem to be some chairs, but to get a couple together that are also in the sun can be tough after 9am. Beach- no problem, there is plenty of room and plenty of chairs IMO.

Our routine is to get up early, be on the beach by 7am for a nice long walk (it is a great walking beach), and then get back to the pool area around 8:30 and stay there until we've had enough.

Car- we always rent cars from Charlies, just a short walk up the street. Alway been happy.

Metropol is close by, it is a fairly authentic Cuban restaurant....not too expensive (not fancy either...a cool experience and located next to the male chicken fighting arena). The Japanese restaurant in the hotel is excellent. We have eaten at the Italian restaurant in the basement once....it was very good, but we were the only people there. Ruth's Chris in the hotel is fine. Pasha, next door at the ESJ has very good food (never seems very busy though), and a very uinique atmosphere. There is another restaurant at ESJ, called the Pals (I think) and it is very good with a cool atmosphere. The whole ESJ scene on a Friday or Saturday is a must see. I think a little bit dressier is required (eg: no shorts or jeans).

Old San Juan- if you are there at lunch time, I would try a place called Manolin (sp?), it is next to the Radio Shack. The place is very popular with locals. Authentic fare and reasonable. El Hamburgur is great fun has THE best hamburgers I've ever had, it is not far from Old SJ....well know, you can get directions easily.

Perhaps the most appealing, local fare, place to eat would be Ajili Mojili in Condado. Authentic Puerto Rican...more upscale than Metrolpol.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
2,612 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: InterContinental -- seeking advice, and about restaurants...

Twoplustwo, If you have to get up at 7AM to get a beach chair, you might ask yourself Why go on vacation? My experience in San juan is that chhairs are not a problem, umbrellas are, especially on thre beach.Still, the IC is big and you will probably do fine if you get down to the pool between 9:30 and 10:30. (at least I always have.)The safetst bet for an interesting, fun restaurant for your girls is the Parrot Club in Old San Suan.

Bettendorf, Iowa
Level Contributor
108 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: InterContinental -- seeking advice, and about restaurants...

For the record, I didn't say you have to be on the beach at 7. That was for the walk.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: InterContinental -- seeking advice, and about restaurants...

Thank you all! (And I'm an early riser.) This might be an odd question: At the pool, is there a good place to find SHADE? We're a family of sunburners. And re the car: We actually don't want to rent a car; we'd like to hire someone to drive us to the caves, so any info on that would be helpful. Thx again!

Bettendorf, Iowa
Level Contributor
108 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: InterContinental -- seeking advice, and about restaurants...

Yes, there are plenty of places around the pool with canvas sunshades for protection from the trees.

We've always rented a car....so, I'm sorry, but I'm no help regarding drivers. I'm sure the staff at the Intercontinental would help.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: InterContinental -- seeking advice, and about restaurants...

Many thx.

isabela
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: InterContinental -- seeking advice, and about restaurants...

Check out the west coast next time!

Rincon or Isabela

Great for Relaxation

You will get miles of unspoiled beaches 24 hours a day, fairly nice hotels and paradores,some with swimming pools...

lewiz

Webmaster - Guajataca.net