We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

courtyard marriott or embassy suites??

Which San Juan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
charleston, sc
Level Contributor
114 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
courtyard marriott or embassy suites??

Wa have been planning on staying at the Embassy Suites in Isla Verde for our vacation, but the latest reviews haven't been so good. We are now thinking about staying at the Courtyard Marriott. From what I can tell it has a much nicer beach and pool atmosphere. There are balconies on the rooms which are a draw as well. Some people say the view isn't great but we won't really have any view from the Embassy Suite, will we? I know the Embassy has larger rooms but I don't think we really care about that. How far is the Marriott from the El San Juan and Intercontinental, etc. Walking distance? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Long Island
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: courtyard marriott or embassy suites??

Hi,

I've been to Puerto Rico a number of times but never stayed in the Isla Verde area until earler this month when I decided to split my week between the Condado and Isla Verde areas just to get a feel for it. The El San Juan and the Intercontinental are pretty much right in the middle of the Isla Verde Avenue tourist area. I would say it took us between 5 and 10 minutes to walk it...not far at all.

The reason some people like the views and others don't is the way the building is situated. I think the even view rooms have a cleaner view of the beach and the odds have an obstructed view from what I believe is a tall condo building next door. Don't hold me to that, though. I do know we stayed in room #900 and had a very good view of the beach and a nice balcony with a useable table and chairs. However, we were towards the airport side of the building and the noise occasionally bothered us. It's not too bad when the planes take off but when they land and reverse the thrust of the engine, it can get pretty loud.

As for the pool and beach areas, they were very nice and we enjoyed our time there very much, though we now know for sure that we prefer the Condado area. The beach in front of the Courtyard was nice and very long, which makes for a better walk, though.

The dinner buffet served excellent Puerto Rican food the night we went. The one thing that bothered us was that there wasn't an sit-down restaurant available for lunch...so we just took a 2 minute walk to the Ritz Carlton and ate there. The food at the pool bar was good, we just wanted to sit down and be served the day we arrived.

We would return to the Courtyard but we do prefer the San Juan Marriott...and on some nights it can actually be cheaper to stay there than at the Courtyard.

Good luck and have fun!