We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Covento vs La Concha

Chicago
Level Contributor
181 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
El Covento vs La Concha

Have a package for the El C, looks like a terrific place. BUT, my first glance steered me to the LaConcha because of their pools and beach. The two places are 180 degrees different, and there are good points to both. Here's a question: The El C lists the La C as its sister property for the purposes of using their pools..no charge, except for the fare to get there(by cab, bus, whatever).

So in order(...this is just for my wife and me and we're late 50s, but we're very active) Would you stay at the El C and just use the little plunge pool they have, do everything else and be happy with it? Would you switch to the La C? Is getting TO the La C from the El C a pain in the butt? I can't imagine not being able to run up to a room, but I'm sure the facilities at the La C pool are very nice,enabling us to change, etc. What do you think? On the surface, the LaC looks like any number of places we've already stayed..in South Beach and elsewhere. Having said that, I'm afraid we'll be mad we stayed at a place that only has a "plunge pool." Help. Too many questions, so little time..

San Juan
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: El Covento vs La Concha

El Convento is a unique hotel, it is a historic building in the middle of the historic district of San Juan. The pool is a small pool on the rooftop with a great view of the lagoon and city. You can use the pool at La Concha as well. It is a 15 minute bus drive (bus 53) from the main bus terminal in the historic district (located close to the Sheraton)

picture of pool …tripadvisor.com/media/…hotel-el-convento.jpg

Edited: 3:51 pm, November 17, 2010
Media, PA
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: El Covento vs La Concha

Stay at La Concha. If you are worrying that much about a pool then just stay at the resort with the pool and beach and don't worry about getting up packing for the pool or beach then driving to and from. You can stay at the La Concha wake up go to the pool go back to your room change and go do shopping or a day trip and make the most of your day and time rather then traveling back and fourth from hotels just for a pool and beach,

Albany, New York
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
2,360 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: El Covento vs La Concha

I went through this a couple of years ago when we went to Puerto Rico. I liked the idea of staying at the El Convento because it would be a unique place to explore San Juan. My wife on the other hand had a more "caribbean" view of where we would stay (read: beach and pools).

We ended up staying at La Concha and I'm glad we did. The pool and beach were great and wandered around Condado and spent quite a bit of time there. But from what I understand it is similar to South Beach.

Taking the bus out to La Concha isn't that big deal, but you need to get from the El Convento to the bus terminal. Also taking the bus back will be a shot in the dark of when it will arrive. If you take a taxi, keep in mind that it will be about $15 each way, so it will be $30 each time you want to go get beach time.

We also had brunch at the El Convento and while it was very nice and unique I was glad that I didn't stay there. In retrospect a couple of nights at the El Convento and then to the La Concha would have been good.

We are going back to La Concha in April. We will probably take the taxi into San Juan when we want to and take the bus back from the terminal because it is easier to time. We also probably eat dinner at places in Condado.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
292 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: El Covento vs La Concha

If the beach and pool, is the main draw.. then La Concha.

If you want to stay in the Old City and explore during the day and evenings, then El Convento is your choice.

Chicago
Level Contributor
181 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: El Covento vs La Concha

We opted for the La Concha, mainly for the access to the pools and beach in a warm climate. No way on Mexico now..done that, and I don't trust the Bahamas for truly warm weather in December. PR looks like a good choice. I'm sure the El Covento is magnificient, historic, etc..but we'll just taxi to OSJ and have to see it, maybe eat there once, along with exploring all of OSJ. Plus, we added a day on the front end of our trip and only ended up paying, after all plane change fees and an extra hotel night, $257 to our original trip package price. And that even included an upgrade to Business Class on Air Tran..not bad. And remember, that inlcuded the $75 each flight switch fee X 2=$150!!

Anyway, looking forward to it. Anyone done the Barcardi Factory tour there? What else shouldn;t we miss? Going to do the beach horseback ride one day and hit a far out beach or two. Suggestions for quaint, cool, out of the way seaside towns to check out. Thanks to all.

Lastly, let me give a travel planning tip. Package deals are great thru the various travel discounters like Travelocity, Orbitz, Expedia, etc. BUT, if you make a package reservation and then try to change a few of the parts of the whole package, such as the travel days and the hotel for a trip that will occur the same days you pruchased the original package for(was that clea?) be prepared for quite an ordeal on the phone. They will INSIST that you must cancel everything out FIRST, before buying a new package..which leaves you holding your breath when you're talking about traveling right smack dab in the middle of the Christmas holiday as we are with this trip. In a millisecond, what you want might fill up as you're on the phone with the agent, and now you've cancelled your original package, leaving you holding your bags..packed, with no where to go. Keep pressing. They WILL do it at the same moment if you get a good agent as I finally did after three tries. Sure, it took me almost three hours on the phone on that one final call, but I got it done. Happy travels to all.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
292 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: El Covento vs La Concha

Bacardi tour is o.k. if you have the time.... there are so many things to see... do Bacardi tour after visiting the major attractions.

Take a look at some:

puertoricoistheplace.com/2010/08/top-ten-pue…

http://hubpages.com/hub/puertoricoistheplace

puertoricoistheplace.com/2010/08/top-five-at…

Have fun and enjoy Puerto Rico!

Chicago
Level Contributor
181 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: El Covento vs La Concha

To pritp.....

Thanks for the links. Last question( for now :)) Is there a preferred way of transportation from the airport to the LaConcha?

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: El Covento vs La Concha

The usual means to transfer from airport to hotel is taxi service.

Media, PA
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: El Covento vs La Concha

azwurth.....When are you gong? We will be at La Concha Dec 27 through Dec 31. I am really looking forward to the trip. We are taking a taxi from the airport to the resort. Planning on doing a zip line tour, doing the forts and city and maybe bio-bay.

10. Re: El Covento vs La Concha

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:35 am, May 22, 2011