We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trying to decide..

Methuen...
Level Contributor
146 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Trying to decide..

My wife and I want to travel in february for our 25th anniversary, We are considering Punta Cana and an all inclusive and San Juan. We are looking for great beaches, safety and fun bars that are friendly and casual that are hopefully all close by our hotel and the beaches. Does such a place exist? Is P.R. expensive? Friendly people?

Thanks very much

Rincon,PR
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trying to decide..

Punta Cana has "All Inclusive"= you go to the resort and enjoy the resort, the beach, the food from the resort. Puerto Rico, has so many differant Beaches, resturants, places to see things to do. San Juan=City Life with nice beaches. The West side of the island about 2.5hrs. drive= Beach Towns, with local flare. You are able to drive around Puerto Rico, and Not feel confind to your Hotel. Puerto Rico does Not have any "All Inclusive", because you are able to feel safe driving from Beach to Beach to Resturant. Where evere you decide have a Great Time. You may also have a look at: www.seepuertorico.com

www.rincon.org

www.rinconpr.com

ENJOY!!!!!

Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trying to decide..

I would suggest you Isla Verde. It is in san Juan, 5 minute car drive from the airport. No airport nice and the best beach of all San Juan. Everything walking distance. Checkout the Intercontinetal Hotel, or even better consider renting a beachfront condo. The nicest building for these are Marbella del Caribe, Coral Beach and ESJ.

homeaway.com/vacation-rentals/…r7735

I also agree with the proevious post. There is so much to see and do in Puerto Rico that is why the hotels are not all inclusive, because you want to be just a while a the hotel and the exploring teh rest fo your day.

Check out puertoricodaytrips.com for more info

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,277 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trying to decide..

It comes down to what do you want to do on vacation If you want to park somewhere for a week, drink, eat and hang at the beach, then the AI may be the way to go. If you want to get out and explore up in a Rain Forest, visit an old walled city with a couple forts, swim in a bio-bay, go to several beaches then PR is the place to be.

Mahopac, NY
Level Contributor
28 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trying to decide..

Well, I am planning our 1st trip to PR in April so can't say anything about that yet. But, My wife and I have been to DR 4 times. The AI's there are very nice. If you just want to go and relax DR is the place to go but, if your a explorer...a AI is not really the way to go. If you decide on Punta Cana Look at Dreams or the Hard rock both are awesome!!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
292 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trying to decide..

Punta Cana: If you want to stay in the resort.

Puerto Rico: If you want to sight see outside of the resorts.

In Puerto Rico, I would recommend Isla Verde area, best beach in San Juan.

Isla Verde: http://www.squidoo.com/puertoricoistheplace

San Juan
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trying to decide..

the reason why there is no all inclusive in Puerto Rico (there was one and did not work because operation costs were too high)

1. Puerto Rico has one of the highest costs of energy in latin america

2. Puerto Rico has one of the highest costs of food in latin america (Puerto Rico can only use US transport ships which are the most expensive)

The reason why there is no all inclusive is because it is too expensive to operate such type of hotel here, it costs too much. Energy and Food are too expensive compared to other places.

Rincon,PR
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trying to decide..

With response to CoquiPR, there is Realy No reason for an "AI" here in Puerto Rico. "AI's" are for toursit who wish to Stay at the resort and Not leave/See/Feel the coulture of the Island they are visting.....Lay on the beach, swim in the pools, eat at the resturants at the "All Inclusive". Here in Puerto Rico there is No reson for an "AI", for vistor's/Toursits may drive/travel with out fear. There is soooo much to see fell, see, be a part of that we would like to have ALL that visit PR to Experiment All of Puero Rico, and not just One (1) Section/Part of PR. There is City Life, Beaches, Nature, History, ect.....Please do not limit yourself to an "AI" here in Puerto Rico. Enjoy the Island for ALL we have.........

San Juan
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trying to decide..

sorry but i disagree with your opinion about AI, but AI are for travelers who do not want to go out and look for restaurants or drive around looking for one, that look this 'going out'' as a hassle, the main attraction of the AI is that you stay in one place relaxing or having fun without worrying where to go next, all your needs are taken care of in one place and all you can eat and drink for one price is also a great deal if you are not into spending too much, just like being in a cruise ship.

Edited: 11:21 pm, November 20, 2010
Media, PA
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trying to decide..

My family usually does AI's. This is our first trip in years that is not an AI and I am anxious to see how it compares. My family of 5 doing AI Christmas week and including airfare can cost between 12 and 13 thousand. This year we are doing Puerto Rico and our trip is approximately 6,000 with airfare and resort (La Concha).....so that leaves us half the money to buy food and drinks. With that said...we always do outside tours which are extra either way. The only other difference is that AI's usually have different shows each night in the resorts that are a nice option for after dinner and maybe more activities around the pool. We did Punta Cana a few years back and stayed at the Majestic Colonial...it was great. The beaches in Punta Cana are beautiful and we did quite a few outside tours......snorkling and swimming with sharks,etc., horseback riding on beach, tour of sugar can fields on jeep and homes, etc. and I had no problem leaving the resort. You do see army men with rifles but they are more to protect their boarder then to scare you. We also did a great Cigar tour. Anyway, whatever you decide I am sure it will all come out in the wash at the end...I will let you know after the New Year.

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trying to decide..

I totaly agree with PINEAPPLE'S INN opinion about all inclusives. There is no need for them in PR. If you like adventure, beautiful settings, eating good quality food, safe drinking water, and the freedom to go wherever you wish and at the time of the day you want, PR is the place! In my opinion, AI are like being in a ship, eating what is available BUT not being able to get outside the ship freely...