We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Yunque and Old San Juan

Which San Juan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
El Yunque and Old San Juan

Our flight arrives at 1:00 pm and we need to be on a cruise ship by 9:00 pm. In those 8 hours is it possible to see some of El Yunque and still get back in time to see the highlights of Old San Juan? If so, what is the best way to get to the rainforest and back and roughly what is the cost? We'd like to do both, but if the time crunch makes that inpractical I'd hate to shortchange both by trying to do too much.

Level Contributor
1,109 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: El Yunque and Old San Juan

I would advise one or the other.

Bettendorf, Iowa
Level Contributor
510 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: El Yunque and Old San Juan

You definitely won't have time to do both. I wonder if you'll even have time to do one! By the time you retrieve your bags, grab a cab, and go check in at the cruise terminal, it will no doubt be no earlier than 3 PM. I suppose the other alternative is to lug your bags with you all day??? Sunset in the Caribbean is generally around 6 PM year 'round, so it would be hard to make the 40 minute trip out to El Yunque.

We've cruised several times from San Juan and find it more enjoyable to arrive a day or two early and have a full day to enjoy Old San Juan, the beach, El Yunque, or whatever else. On the day the ship sails, we generally arrive at the terminal around noon and then get on board and get familiarized with the ship. If it's not too late, consider coming early (or staying late) to enjoy San Juan. Eight hours is far too few to enjoy this gem of an island!

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
828 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: El Yunque and Old San Juan

if the cruise returns to San Juan, then go that day to El Yunque. Visiting it takes almost a whole day (includes hicking, waterfalls, etc). It is a pretty place, but you wont have time to visit it. I recommend you to go to Old San Juan first, cause the ship is docked there. Visit everything you can. El Morro, San Cristobal, La Fortaleza (Governor's Mansion, tours available by reservations). Shopping at Old San Juan (there is no SALES TAX!). Visit http://www.gotopuertorico.com --> you will find a lot of info and places to see.

If the ship doesnt return back to San Juan, well, there is no other way than coming back for a week-long vacation , so you can see every spot of the island.

enjoy your cruise and your stay in beautiul Puerto Rico. you wont regret it!