We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I drop off a SJU rental car near Carnival Cruise Port?

Which San Juan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Warwick, R.I.
5 posts
Save Topic
Can I drop off a SJU rental car near Carnival Cruise Port?

We're (6 adults) spending 2 days in San Juan prior to leaving on Carnival Cruise on 31 May 09. Plan on staying in San Juan/OSJ area.

Are we better off to rent a Mini-Van to get around? Can I drop it off near the Port when we leave? Or will I have to take it back to SJU? Is rental our best option? Or should we take a Taxi to hotel, then use a combo of bus, taxi, or walk to get around? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,790 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I drop off a SJU rental car near Carnival Cruise Port?

It depends on where you'll be staying at. More info please

Warwick, R.I.
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I drop off a SJU rental car near Carnival Cruise Port?

Not sure of hotel yet, because I booked the cruise thru PRICELINE. For booking with them, they're going to send me hotel vouchers that I can use for stay in San Juan (or anywhere for that matter). But won't get them til 3 weeks prior to travel. This is (I hope) not going to be a problem. Note that the rooms have to be booked thru PRICELINE'S "Name your own price" program. Which means we'll stay with the hotel that accepts my best offer. Again, hope this works out.

What's your advice on this? Thanks!

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
7,912 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I drop off a SJU rental car near Carnival Cruise Port?

Never have done the book a hotel with a voucher thing. As far as a car rental. The Sheraton Old San Juan is right at the OSJ cruise port. They have a car rental desk. Hertz or Maybe Avis. You would be able to drop there, but will have to pay a drop fee. Based on what it is, it may be better to cab it over from the airport ($20). Need to check that out. Also depending on where you are staying. Most hotel have a hefty parking fee. $15-20 a night. Plus there is an airport consession fee for renting at the airport, that you do not have to pay if you rent in the city. Just some things to figure into your cost estimates.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
244 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I drop off a SJU rental car near Carnival Cruise Port?

If you book a car with Charlie's you can pick it up at SJU and drop it off (WITH NO XTRA FEES) in

Condado, (Cruise Ship area)

890 Ashford Avenue

Or Vise Versa

http://www.charliecars.com/locations.htm

Happy Planning .. MsDoDa

Warwick, R.I.
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I drop off a SJU rental car near Carnival Cruise Port?

Thanks PR Bob and MsDoDa for your info. It's just what I need to help me make my decision. FYI, the PRICELINE "Name your own price"

program has worked well for me on trips from Maine to Fla.

It's nice to rent a room for $50 that normally would cost at least twice as much. Thanks again for your help!

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,790 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can I drop off a SJU rental car near Carnival Cruise Port?

One question, will you have a room for sure but don't know where or can the price be rejected and you are without a room ?

7. Re: Can I drop off a SJU rental car near Carnival Cruise Port?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 pm, October 21, 2009