We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weather in December

Which San Juan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Buffalo, NY
2 posts
Save Topic
weather in December

I am going to San Juan, Puerto Rico for Christmas. What is the weather usually like?

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,901 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: weather in December

In December, we are out of hurricane season, but the weather can still be wet. Average rainfall in December is about 4.5" (wettest month is November with an average of about 6" of rain). Low temps are in the low 70's. High temps are in the low 80's. Coastal water temp averages about 80F.

January is typically cooler. February and March are the nicest months, IMO.

You can check out the weather page in our Puerto Rico Visitor Magazine -- http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/weather/ -- for current and historical weather information (as well as a whole lot more!).

Hope this helps!

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: weather in December

December is generally good weather.

It is a bit wet sometimes, but as always, its never well all over the island and a wet day here is in no way like a wet day back home for you.

It might rain a bit and then the sun will come out to warm the day up...

Temperatures are about

Mid to low 80's for a high

and a freezing low 70's for a low at night...

All though... has anyone else noticed how its getting cold at night (a lot sooner than usual).

Mind you, cold for Puerto Ricans is low 70's and by getting colder at night earlier than other years I mean my car is reading 73. Cold for Puerto Ricans and cold for October.

By the way, I was in Cayey on Sunday and boy way it cold. I have never been cold up there and this time I felt it. I always thought it was an exaggeration but now I believe it makes sense for them to light fireplaces at night... lol

Again... cold means it was 69 (but that was at 5pm) so it could easily get to 60 during the night.

lol

And again again... Puerto Ricans get colder faster. So a fire place with a low of 60 makes perfect sense.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weather in December

Its never WET all over the island*****

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,002 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: weather in December

Well, considering the winter weather in Buffalo, NY, I must say that you will be a very happy camper.

Have fun!

5. Re: weather in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:28 am, October 13, 2009