We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What Island to visit close to San Juan

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Topic
What Island to visit close to San Juan

Can anyone advise which Island I should visit for a couple of days while visiting San Juan? I would like to do some scuba diving and get a couple of Islands in while on vacation. It seems that there are many Islands in close proximity to San Juan.....Any suggestions of which one to visit. Preferrably getting to one that is fairly economical, either by boat or by air is best. We are not into going to the DR though. Thanks for your input....Jillian

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What Island to visit close to San Juan

If you tell me more about your tastes, I can help you decide between 3 choices: Vieques, Culebra or St John's. The first two more economical and are municipalities of Puerto Rico, the third is part of the US Virgin Islands, 3/4 of it a national park & a bit more expensive, but well worth it. To Vieques or Culebra you get by air (about $35-40 each way- 15-20 minutes) or by ferry ($5, but will take you 1/2 day between driving and ferry, and you need to rent a car to get there, otherwise not worth the trouble) Vieques is more populated and larger, Culebra is smaller, more laid back and more unspoiled. St Johns is my personal favorite for a vacation of that sort. You will have to fly into St Thomas (35 minutes- about $60-75) because St John's has no airport, and then take a short ferry to St John's. Look up the three islands and see which suits you best.

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What Island to visit close to San Juan

Thanks for your reply. I have read about Vieques (?), but haven't heard much about the other two. Essentially, I wanted to go to a place where we could get some good economical scuba diving in and see a bit of the sites. We do not want to scuba dive where the waters are extremely choppy and dangerous as we're somewhat of novices. I'm not looking to pay huge amounts, but want a really nice experience with some decent accommodations to stay at while we are there. There will be three of us. What do you suggest? Also, I'm thinking of staying at San Juan the first nite or two and then going on to the rain forest for some hiking and waterfalls. How far is the RF from San Juan and then how far are the two islands (vieques and culbera) from the rainforest? Are these Islands considered the south, east, west? What about the rainforest? Can you travel from East to West and South to North all in one day or are places really far apart from one another? Can you please advise. There is soo much to do, but I'm confused as to how to go about planning for it.....thanks again..Jillian

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What Island to visit close to San Juan

Reading past posts on this topics helps a lot. Also go to the Virgin Island forum. That said, I'll give you a bird's view: Vieques and Culebra are east of the big island of PR. The city of Fajardo is on the east coast from where you can fly to either and to St Thomas also, cheaper than from San Juan. You can also take a ferry to Vieques or Culebra from Fajardo which takes over 1.5 hours. To do any of the above you need to go from San Juan to Fajardo on a taxi or shuttle (very expensive) or on a rented car. You do the math, depending on where, when and for how long. Fajardo is about 1.5 hour from San Juan, the Rain Forest is right on the way, about 50 minutes from San Juan. Scuba in St John's is by far better anyway you look at it, especially for begginers. But the three are extremely good. Lodging in Culebra or Vieques can be from $40-$100 per person, depending on the place. St. Johns is just a bit more expensive. Same about flying (as I said before). An overnight to Vieques or Culebra is the least you can do, but you'd need at least another night at St John's, I would say. If you're renting a car anyway, you can go to Fajardo and leave the car at the ferry parking ($6/day) or the airport ($8/day). If you'll be in San Juan and want to spend 2-3 days at one of these islands, the best thing to do is to fly from SJ and save the car charges, gas, etc. Depending on how many days you want the car is another consideration.

4. Re: What Island to visit close to San Juan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 pm, September 05, 2009