We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Recommendation Please!

Oklahoma
9 posts
Save Topic
Hotel Recommendation Please!

My hubby (31) and I (27) will be spending our 4th anniversary in Puerto Rico in late May. We need a nice hotel that is directly on the beach and has a really nice pool but is also within walking distance of restaurants. We would love to have a mini fridge in the room to stock with beer that we purchase locally. We are not huge partiers but we definitely do not want to be anywhere secluded. Any suggestions on where we should stay?

Thanks!

Lauren

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Caribbean
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
2,656 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Recommendation Please!

SoonerLauren, Any of the Isla Verde beachfronts (the Ritz, The El San Juan, The Intercontinental, The Water Club or the Courtyard by Marriot) should fill the bill, as well as the Marriot Stellaris, the Radisson, the Condadp Plaza or one of the smaller hotels in the Condado. In most cases you will have to request a fridge. Even if you think that you are are not partiers you may enjoy the nightlife in San Juan more than you think.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,412 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Recommendation Please!

prvisitor made some ver good suggestions. Also concider the ESJ towers. It is a condo hotel that is a sister to the El San Juan. I think they have kitchens. There is a grocery store across from the Intercontinental for all you needs.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Recommendation Please!

Also look at the Caribe Hilton. Stayed in Dec and it was great. Private beach, nice pool, lots of restaurants, great views. Really enjoyed it.

Mentioned in this post
Caribe Hilton San Juan
Caribe Hilton San Juan
7,221 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Oklahoma
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Recommendation Please!

Thanks everyone! Can you tell which of the suggested locations has the best beach?

Thanks,

Lauren

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Recommendation Please!

Isla Verde beach is a long strip that covers most of the hotels on that area. I like the ESJ , Waterclub and Intercontinental's more than those at the Condado area.

Maryland
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Recommendation Please!

Lauren,

We just got back from Isla Verde beach and stayed at the Courtyard Marriott resort there for 7 nights. We had the most beautiful beach and clear water within steps of our hotel. My husband and I walked the beach for quite a distance and the Intercontinental, ESJ and most other hotels on that strip had about a foot or 2 high of seaweed on the beach and it stunk so bad. It was terrible. Not sure what happened but nobody was in the water. As a matter of fact we rented jetskis there and they asked that we swim up to them and it was such a nightmare trying to get through so much seaweed in the water that I could not even move my arms. I saw a few people staying on that strech of the beach and they were all very unhappy and disappointed.

I highly recommend the Courtyard Isla Verde. Much quieter and within about 10 min walking distance but beautiful clear turquise water. Loved the great service at this hotel. Completely impressed and pleasantly surprised. You can certainly see that the Management has done a very well job!!!! Very very happy and would go back to that gorgeous beach any time. You can either take a cab (15min) to Old San Juan or you can rent a car for $30 a day but have to pay $20 per day for parking at any resort. We walked to a bunch of restaurants within 5-10 min walking distance from the hotel each night. Platos (contemporary Puerto Rican), Metropol (casual authentic puerto rican), a few places at the Ritz plus the Courtyard itself has a few restaurants and a really romantic restaurant called Sirena right on the beach with candlelight dinners right on the beach. Gorgeous!!!!

Let me know if you have any questions. We loved it and can not wait to go back.

Mentioned in this post
Old San Juan
Old San Juan
14,102 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Metropol
Metropol
2,226 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Boston
Level Contributor
262 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Recommendation Please!

I second that on the Courtyard! We were very impressed with the service we received while staying there a few weeks ago. Our room came with a refrigator and the room looked brand new. Could not compare in price to the others we looked at in the Isla Verde area.

I'd let them know it is a special weekend for you and I am sure they will treat you well - we had a fruit tray sent up from the management along with a room upgrade and our only special occasion was that we were in Puerto Rico!

Enjoy!

MM

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Caribbean
Minnesota
Level Contributor
199 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Recommendation Please!

I agree with the last 2 posts as well...I also just got back from the courtyard and loved it!! it was nice in the fact that it is the last hotel on the strip so you do feel very private and not like sardines with being around other hotels and guests...never felt crowded or anything!! Very clean beach!!

9. Re: Hotel Recommendation Please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:24 am, August 29, 2009