We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

reggae in san juan/nightclubs

massachusetts
1 post
Save Topic
reggae in san juan/nightclubs

im goin to san juan late april to visit my sister but she will be workin alot of the nights/days, was wondering if someone could tell me a little about the nighttime scene as far as clubs with music and especially reggae, was also wondering what kinda atmosphere it is in the musicclubs, i understand that drugs are all over the place in PR, is drug availabiltiy at nightclubs just as easy as in the dealing sections of town, (im not lookin to do drugs, i dont do drugs but just want to know what to expect)

San Juan
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: reggae in san juan/nightclubs

i'm not going to lie, there is drugs in PR as there is in any other state in the US or any other country in the world. It is not as easy as you think to get drugs. You probably wont even notice the drug trade during your stay here, i mean, no one will be selling drugs in the corner nor in the clubs. Locals know where they are sold (mostly in housing projects throughout the island which i don't think you'll be visiting). Either that or some guy who knows this guy... but don't worry, you wont notice a thing

NYC
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: reggae in san juan/nightclubs

Well I am not sure if you consider Reggaeton and Reggae the same music. (This can be a heated debate I know.)

Reggaeton runs rampant there, Reggae not so much. There are several rasta shops in Old San Juan, so I would imagine that would be the best place to ask for clubs that play Reggae. You will hear Reggaeton literally everywhere you go the entire time you are there. (You will also hear a lot of Sean Paul)

As far as drugs go, the above poster is correct. Its not nearly as commonplace as you would think. You will not see people doing them out in the open at clubs, and you will not smell any questionable smokables either, at least I never have. People do them, like any other city on the planet. But it is all done very discreetly. I have been out in San Juan more times than I can count, and I have only been offered illicit substances twice.

Mentioned in this post
Old San Juan
Old San Juan
14,426 Reviews
Puerto Rico
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
New York, NY
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: reggae in san juan/nightclubs

you should def. go to Lazar in Old San Juan.

If you like reaggueton then go on Sat. night, b/c thats what they play most of the night. I had a GREAT time there, but I also LOVE reaggueton, so thats probably why.

on Friday they play mostly hip hop if you like that

Mentioned in this post
Old San Juan
Old San Juan
14,426 Reviews
Puerto Rico