We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trips to Culebra and Vieques

Rockford, Illinois
Level Contributor
117 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trips to Culebra and Vieques

Hi,

I have been struggling to find accommodation and car rental to visit any of the islands and was not successful, so instead i was thinking if it might be a good idea to do day trips to each of the islands separately from Fajardo/ceiba? Can someone recommend any companies that do day trips to these islands? We will be visiting during thanksgiving weekend and are looking for day trips on 30th and 1st.

Thanks!

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,912 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trips to Culebra and Vieques

East Island Excursions offers a power catamaran day trip to Culebra. It's a snorkeling trip. The beaches/reefs they visit are determined by weather and sea conditions. It's not a "trip to Culebra" per se ... more of a "snorkel in water around Culebra" kind of trip.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
3,932 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trips to Culebra and Vieques

what dates could you not find accommodations and for how long?

Rockford, Illinois
Level Contributor
117 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trips to Culebra and Vieques

Hi,

Hubby and i are visiting PR during the thanksgiving weekend and we are planning to spend 2 days and 1 night (either in Culebra or Vieques), but i could not find any accommodations and/or jeep rentals in either of the islands. So i was atleast thinking of doing day trips so see the fabulous beaches..we are planning to spend 30th and 1st on the islands and spend 30th night there...

Thanks!

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trips to Culebra and Vieques

That is a very busy week in PR and for the ferries to both islands for obvious reasons. You may have difficulty getting tickets unless you are at the ferry ticket booth early, otherwise plan on flying over. Accommodations and vehicle rentals also go very fast and are probably sold out by this late.

Edited: 6:58 pm, October 22, 2013
Rockford, Illinois
Level Contributor
117 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trips to Culebra and Vieques

Hi Prexplorer,

Thank you for your reply but as i stated in my first post i did not find any accommodations and car rentals, that is the reason i was asking if there are any good day trips to visit the beaches from Fajardo area...

Thanks!

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trips to Culebra and Vieques

East Island Excursions as mentioned above does trips to Culebra and Vieques on their own vessel. The excursions are preselected and are confined to a few designated locales. Check their website. Culebra you can do on your own, if you can get the ferry across. Most people want to visit Flamenco Beach. Vieques generally requires at least a one night stay and a rental vehicle and I do not recommend going over for just a day. I do not know of any companies that do an island excursion to either island from the main island and back.

http://eastwindcats.com/

Edited: 2:04 pm, October 23, 2013
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
769 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trips to Culebra and Vieques

We had the same plan for Vieques , a couple of years ago as part of a trip to OSJ. We are not beach people, but wanted scout it out because of all the great reviews here. We were going to fly cheap from Ceiba early and return late. A taxi was to be used to transport us to/from Sun Beach for the day and return on the evening flight. It did not work out because we were late due to PR traffic for the flight from Ceiba, so we did the rainforest instead. This plan would work to give us a flavor, and we may try again next time. We picked only one beach because of the time factor, and Sun beach had a lot of amenities nearby.

If you do some reading on the Culebra/Vieques forum, there is a list of at least a dozen taxis and some publicos with phone number contacts. I would call ASAP to for Taxi /air reservations, if you have interest in doing something like that.

Out

Rockford, Illinois
Level Contributor
117 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trips to Culebra and Vieques

Hi All,

I think we may end up staying in Culebra after all :)

I called up few local guesthouses and all of them had rooms available (even for one night stay) and i called up Jerrys Jeep and Carlos. They do have vehicles for our stay too! I will book everything in a day or two.

Has anyone heard of Thrifty car rentals? I can get a full size car for almost half the price as Carlos/Jerrys. Should i book with Thrifty or go with the local companies?

Thanks!

9. Re: Day Trips to Culebra and Vieques

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 25, 2014