We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Coffee in PR?

new york
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Topic
Best Coffee in PR?

I hear Alto Grande is the best coffee one can buy in PR. However, I couldnt find it at local grocery stores - checked Amigo last night.

Does anyone know where I can buy some - we are in Rio Grande area. Alternatively, please let me know if there are other equally good brands available that we can try.

Thanks.

70 replies to this topic
Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
7,917 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Coffee in PR?

Probably just out of it. Everyone pretty much carrys it. Personally I like Yaucono. I order it online at home. Here is a link. http://www.elcolmadito.com/USCafe.asp at least you can picture what the different brands look like. An item to get is Ron De Barlitto Rum. Can't get it in the states. Grab some of that at the duty free store at the airport on your way home.

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
7,940 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Coffee in PR?

I agree that Yaucono is better. Cafe Crema is also very good.

Edited: 10:57 am, May 02, 2013
Bedford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,932 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Coffee in PR?

Yep. Yaucono.

I have it sent up by post office.

new york
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Coffee in PR?

Thanks for the suggestions. How does Cafe Rico compare?

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
8,540 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Coffee in PR?

Alto Grande and Yaucono are excellent. Did you make sure to ask at the register? Ground coffee is kept under lock (don't ask me why), you can only find instant coffee in tha aisle.

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,410 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Coffee in PR?

I much prefer Bustelo for a grocery Store brand, or Cibales to Yaucono or Cafe Rico.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
856 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Coffee in PR?

All pr coffee is good. It's a matter of good or better. There are many private labels of coffee not found in supermarkets and all are excellent. In ponce, a couple of blocks from the plaza, in aurora street corner mayor street, there's a shop where they roast coffee for many of these private labels, the shop is named named Café Mayor. If you go to ponce one day you can buy the best coffee here. Right next store is a local favorite restaurant where you can have lunch. In fact, one of the coffees they roast here is shipped to Harrod's in London.

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Coffee in PR?

Alto Grande coffee is considered a world class coffee by coffee experts. In times past the Garrido family supplied this coffee to Europe, particularly the Vatican when coffee was expensive and consumed by the nobility in Europe. The family has been growing coffee in the Lares region since 1839. I would give it as a gift. Coffees like Bustelo use coffee grown in various parts of South America, is widely available in the U.S. and is not distinctly Puerto Rican.

Edited: 9:46 am, May 06, 2013
Armonk, New York
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Coffee in PR?

We vote for Cafe Crema. PR_Bob, Thanks for the link. We mail order it too when we run out of the stuff we haul back. Also try puertoricocoffeeshop.com and puertoricopasteles.com . I have used both and they may be a bit cheaper than elcolmadito.com . A 14 oz Cafe Crema is $6.50 at the first, $5.99 at the second and $8.30 at the third. Somewhat different shipping policies may make up for some of the difference. At Ralfs, the same bag runs about $4.25 so I fill a suitcase on the way back whenever I can.

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Coffee in PR?

My vote goes for Alto Grande. Comes in cans which preserve freshness and It can be bought in Costco and grocery stores. Ask for it, since some supermarkets have it on displays with key.

Edited: 10:44 pm, May 06, 2013
Reply to: Best Coffee in PR?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted