We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local Shopping

V S
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Local Shopping

Hi,

Where would the best place to shop be? I know PR is 99% US more or less, but I am guessing there still must be some 'local'/'authentic' places still around...

I am looking to shop for items that are more "puerto rican" (or carribean) than american. So, say for example masks or dresses or other cultural items.

Also, is bargaining allowed/available or not? If yes, how much so?

Thanks.

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Local Shopping

There are plenty of shops in Old San Juan. Some feature crafts made on the island, but they are not inexpensive.

Boveda Fine Hand Crafted Jewelry

209 Cristo St.

Galeria Ole

105 Fortaleza St.

The Handcraft Store

250 Cristo St

Spicy Caribbee

154 Cristo St.

Puerto Rican Arts & Crafts

204 Fortaleza St.

Edited: 7:11 pm, December 25, 2012
San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Local Shopping

You'll find unique items at oqui international, at Barrio Palmer, Rio Grande.

You may also check if thee is an artisan fair when you get to PR. No bargaining,prices are fixed, but you may allways ask for a discount.

Edited: 8:24 pm, December 25, 2012
San Juan
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Local Shopping

''I know PR is 99% US more or less, but I am guessing there still must be some 'local'/'authentic' places still around... ''

Maybe that is true in Hawaii but not in Puerto Rico. We have not lost our authenticity because we are not a US state. Even in big malls you can find puerto rican stores like Hecho A Mano, La Esquina Famosa, Playero, jewelry, art and crafts kiosks like Arte Madera...along with European stores like Zara, Mango, Custo and US stores like Macys, Sears and Pennys which are somewhat different from those in the US.

Edited: 1:56 am, December 26, 2012
usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Local Shopping

CoquiPR makes a good point. Many of the U.S. franchise stores cater to the Puerto Rican public and carry items that appeal to them which makes them somewhat unique to the island. I remember once seeing an artificial Christmas tree for sale in one of the stores (I believe it was Macy's) that had tropical flowers and decor on it as well as tropical birds, etc. which I had never seen before. Many of the stores carry shoes made in Spain which are unavailable in the U.S.

5. Re: Local Shopping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, December 28, 2013