We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just starting to look

Iroquois, Canada
Level Contributor
2,530 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
Just starting to look

Thinking about taking a trip to Puerto Rico, we usually take our trips South in February, we are beach walkers so a nice long beach would be nice, looking for a place with a pool, it does not have to be on the beach and not really interested in AI, so an area with lot of restaurants within walking distance would be great, not overly expensive

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
3,009 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just starting to look

You might want to scan thru this link:

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g147319-Activiti…

This will give you an idea of the things to see and do.

There are some contradictions in your list of wants, so it may be best to read thru that and come back with some questions. See a "nice long beach" is only in a few places. Many are broken up by sections of swamp or rocks. Areas with "lots of restaurants within walking distance" is ok, but they often are expensive.

So this will be a specific spot but will depend on other things you want to see. Areas near Rincon, Arecibo, and Luquillo, are all spots I am thinking about to fit the bill. Almost anything on the south coast will need a car to go from place to place. Cabo Rojo, is a little far out I am thinking.

Iroquois, Canada
Level Contributor
2,530 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just starting to look

Did check that out, what I was asking about was about accommodations close to a long beach with restaurants and bars within walking distance

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
3,009 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just starting to look

I would say then Isla Verde. That should do just fine.

Iroquois, Canada
Level Contributor
2,530 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just starting to look

Is the airport noise a problem being so close

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
3,009 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just starting to look

Some people will say yes, some will say no. You will be ok in your room. On the grounds its questionable. The PRANG does not fly F16s any more out or that airport, so you won't have that noise issue.

The issue with the list is the words "walking distance". That has a completely different meaning in Puerto Rico than anywhere else in the world. Puerto Rico you see is not centralized in most ways. You have to travel to go places. Many tourist areas are near San Juan, but in San Juan proper, there are no long beaches.

Iroquois, Canada
Level Contributor
2,530 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just starting to look

The beach at Isla Verde how long is it, some of the pictures I have seen on VRBO site, show breaks in the rock outcrop which looks like you can walk threw, the beach looks nice

Armonk, New York
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just starting to look

You might want to consider Luquillo. Depending on where you stay beaches and the Kioscos (30 +/- restaurants near the beach) are "walkable" along with other attractions. Having said that, I would still recommend a car.

Iroquois, Canada
Level Contributor
2,530 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just starting to look

Will check that out WTPArmok......Thanks

Also thanks dolphingvp for the info

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
2,652 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Just starting to look

Hi Will, I often stay at the El San Juan and I like to take a walk on the beach in the PM. I've never made it to the end of the beach at Punta De Las Marias. After 20 minutes or so, I'm only about 1/2 way ( or less) The intensity of the sun precludes a longer PM walk. To reach the other crescent of beach from the ESJ, Its necessary to do a short street detour around the La Playa hotel, but its nice and quiet. La Playita Cafe located in the hotel is a great spot for drinks and casial fare. There are plenty of dining options in Isla Verde from high end to American fast food, plus there is Pueblo supermarket nearby where you can stock up on juice or water etc or even buy a freshly cooked chicken.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
3,009 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just starting to look

The two long walking beaches I know are Punta Tuna and Punta Guilarte. But both are no where near where you want to stay.