We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great stay at La Conch

Denver
Level Contributor
303 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Great stay at La Conch

I just submitted my review and pictures from my stay at La Concha. I think it will take a day or two to post. The hotel was really very nice and clean. We had a wonderful time, but I was not that impressed with San Juan. Maybe if I had explored other parts of the island I would have liked Puerto Rico better.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Mentioned in this post
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
New Jersey
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great stay at La Conch

What didn't you really like about San Juan?

Mentioned in this post
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
New Jersey
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great stay at La Conch

What didn't you really like about San Juan?

Mentioned in this post
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
Denver
Level Contributor
303 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great stay at La Conch

I don't want to sound bad, but I wasn't crazy about being asked for money by people living on the streets and I was surprised to have to be buzzed in to Dunkin donuts because of the guy that lives in front of the store. I've been to other poor areas, but usually at an all inclusive, so I never really wandered around outside. Also, the prices for everything were really expensive.

I really wish I had taken the time to see other parts of the island, but I just wanted to rest and relax at the beach and pool.

I don't want to sound snobby or anything, I did have a good time and enjoyed my vacation, but it wasn't really my cup of tea.

I'm sorry if I offend anyone.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great stay at La Conch

Your input is appreciated. I'm a local and I do not like certain things about OSJ. I grew up in that area, and many things said here do not surpirse me. Sometimes I do challenge some posters with information that obiously was not accurate. Is always good to hear the good and not so good. It benefits the future traveler.

I really do not understand todays travelers placing their expectation so high. I wonder, if its applied to you, what exactly you expected from your vacation? I do travel to places that really requires a lot research, especially from locations not many travel from that side of the world. The lower my expectation, the more I enjoy my travel experience.

Beggars are common in every part of the world. Consider yourself lucky. Not long ago, when I entered Mozambique, I was surrounded by five to ten hawkers, and it din't stop there, when I got to Maputo, uff, I ran. But, on the other hand, I understand that the local economy is not sustainable, thus, I did contributed to their local economy and support local children, but I do not like folks to be so aggresive. So far, I'm not offended :)

Now San Juan is expensive, and the government knows that, and I really do noy like the fact that the government do not support or provide some resources that supports tourism. On the other hand, due to its political status to the US, and really not much the local goverment can do is to Puerto Rico follow certain enforeced laws such as EPA, minimun wage, the water in Puerto Rico is tap, and thats not free, in some AI, you must buy the water since some other countries do not have such services. I really would like PRTC to paying attention to this forum and track what the tourist see and don't like to have a better tourism service. Thank you for your TR.

Edited: 3:57 pm, July 21, 2012
Mentioned in this post
New Jersey
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great stay at La Conch

No offense taken. Like Boricua-one, I also appreciate your input and honesty, which is why I asked what turned you off about San Juan. I understand how you feel about beggars. It does get annoying anywhere, even here in the states. I have traveled to a few different countries, and in each one, I've encountered at least one beggar. To tell you the truth, it doesn't even surprise me anymore so I would never judge a certain region based on that.

I do definitely think you should have taken the time to travel to other parts of Puerto Rico. In my opinion, the best places in Puerto Rico are outside of San Juan. Although I must admit I love Old San Juan. I just think that to get a true sense of all that the island has to offer, one must definitely take the time to explore the rest of the island. For example, my extremely well-traveled cousin recently returned from a first-time stay in Rincon, and thought it was, by far, the best vacation she's ever been on. Just so you get a sense of some of the other places she's been to, she's lived in London and visited many of the European countries, she has been to Turks & Caicos, Cayman Islands, traveled all over Mexico, Costa Rica, Cuba, and the list goes on and on. You have every right to feel a little disillusioned if your expectations weren't completely met. However, please keep an open mind and know that there is so much more to Puerto Rico than what you experienced in San Juan.

Mentioned in this post
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Great stay at La Conch

I'm with you on that Diana. Many of my well seasoned travelers on my family will agree most on your comments. I spent less time in OSJ on my last trip, and my newcomers preferred that approach. Most locals also prefer taking a trip outside OSJ. The problem is, IMO, local government put emphasis on San Juan as the main tourism destination. Many leave with the impression that San Juan represents all Puerto Rico.

Still, Puerto Rico have to do some serious catch up on some important areas of responsibility within the tourism industry. I feel that the PRTC is focusing on projects that has proven to be incapable to produce better and cheaper service. Also the lack on enforcing some environmental laws is well-known. This been going on for too long, and many have noticed this, the results on faulty decisions. This is why I would like a member of the government to read some post with relevant assessments.

Mentioned in this post
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
San Juan
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Great stay at La Conch

the quality of life has fallen down drastically in the past years in Puerto Rico, anyone living here can tell you that, it is very sad what is happening to our beloved country.

Edited: 9:31 am, July 22, 2012
New Jersey
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Great stay at La Conch

I bet things would really change for the better if PR became a US state.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Great stay at La Conch

Well, to avoid a collision course on political views I'm going to stay focus a bit more on the tourism sector, and some comments on what some visitors noted, and because government appoints the executive director, the fact is the current political status is irrelevant to what's happening in the island to a certain point. As mentioned earlier, beggars are common including to the richest countries in the GCC, producers of oil exports. The fact is, PRTC, regardless political views, has not produced significant impact into our local economy. Puerto Rico tourism only produce 7 to 9 % of local GDP, opposed to neighborin countries were tourism is the main industry. I'm not sure if new political status will change the sector that significally because they really do not understand that travelers are looking for something that the island may not provide. PRTC simply are not that creative as others destinations are, and their results are shown. Changing political status is not necesarily the answer, but lack of creativity. Even if we appoint a minister of tourism, and if that office have no clue what he is doing, it will impact the local industry regardless.

Edited: 2:43 pm, July 22, 2012
10. Re: Great stay at La Conch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, August 16, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Rico