We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

question about coffee

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
question about coffee

Not a big coffee drinker, but the coffee on PR is amazing. What is a good/common brand I can find to take take beans back home? Everything from breakfast joints in San Juan (Mallorca) to roadside stalls inland, to Vieques panadeirias....all of them have coffee WAY better than anything I have had on Mainland US....is it the beans? The machines or what? I am hooked.

Have a decent espresso maker at home.....any advice? Cheers

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
9,715 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: question about coffee

It is a combination of the beans and the way it is prepared. Make it strong. Good brands are Yaucono, Cafe crema and Alto Grande. You can find also non-commercial brands from small farms in the farmers market.

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,527 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: question about coffee

I'm with you 100%. I'm not a coffee drinker, but PRican coffee is so delicious I can have a cup anytime.

I recommend Cafe Crema and Yaucono brands.

Make your espresso with PRican coffee the same way you make your regular espresso. Just be ready for a very strong espresso!

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: question about coffee

Thanks - will check the store today. Most tiendas seem to have pre-ground coffee only. Will keep looking here on vieques

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,082 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: question about coffee

Both Morales stores have the beans.

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: question about coffee

Just take small batches of different brands and tell un which is your favorite. Use and Italian "greca" coffeemaker, make it strong and enjoy every sip!

Edited: 6:35 pm, July 11, 2012
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: question about coffee

Thanks - this may be a dumb question but are these brands carried on mainland US? Or do I need to bring some home?

Cheers

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
9,715 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: question about coffee

You will not find them in the US, unless you are in an area with a lot of puertoricans and go to a small neighborhood market.

There is a website that sells all sorts of prican goodies, google it, i can't remember the name.

Cruz Bay, St. John
Level Contributor
471 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: question about coffee

andrea b,

I buy Cafe Yaucono beans in 5 lb Bags from :

Jimenez y Fernandez Sucr. Inc. in San Juan

Tel 787-721-3337

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: question about coffee

Puerto Rican coffee is the best! I love coffee, especially Puerto Rican coffee, but I am not supposed to drink coffee because it gives me a migraine headache, yet in PR I drank Puerto Rican coffee--delicious! I was prepared with medication afterward, but it was worth it!

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: question about coffee

The best Puerto Rican coffee in the world?

http://www.360reservacoffee.com/