We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to buy swim shorts?!

Victoria, BC
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Where to buy swim shorts?!

Hello,

We are having a hard time finding ANY shorts in Canada right now, lol. We need some men's trunks/swim shorts but not a single store seems to carry them in December -- go figure!

We will be arriving in San Juan on Dec 19 and heading out to Rio Grande. We are planning on hitting up the Costco for food and drinks...any tips on where to find some nice but cheap swim shorts? Does the Costco there tend to carry them in the clothing section?

Thanks!

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,873 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to buy swim shorts?!

The stores think it's "winter" here, too. You'll have better luck getting mittens and fleece-lined boots. Go figure!

Selection will be slim, but you can still find them here this time of year. I think I saw some in Costco last week. But also Walmart, Kmart, etc will have some. There's a Walmart across Route 3 from Costco in Carolina.

Edited: 8:13 pm, December 04, 2011
San Juan
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to buy swim shorts?!

there are many surfing/beach specialty stores in isla verde (there is one by the end of the avenue that is a big store) and condado, *near Kasalta, that have shorts and swimwear that are fashionable on the beach here in Puerto Rico and caribbean, they bring the latest trends. my favorite is Playero in the historic district of San Juan.

Edited: 9:10 pm, December 04, 2011
San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to buy swim shorts?!

Check Nautica, Ralph Lauren (Polo) or Tommy Hilfiger at the Canovanas Outlets;

the Walmart in the shopping Center right in front (across road #3) of the Outlets, Marshall's in the same shopping center as Walmart;

K-Mart in Fajardo, Bora Bora in Fajardo Shopping Center;

the surf shop close to the Luquillo plaza, and even at the Luquillo food & souvenier shops you will be able to get your swim shorts!

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
3,899 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to buy swim shorts?!

i think the taino store at sju sells them. maybe.

check the buy it nows on ebay. if you buy them today you will ahve them in time.

there is a big selection

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
7,942 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to buy swim shorts?!

Walgreens in Isla Verde sells them. There's also a beach store in Old San Juan (can't remember the name though). If all fails, just go to the beach stores at Plaza Las Americas mall: Bora Bora, Everything But Water (for women), Playero (for men).

http://en.plazalasamericas.com/directory/

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to buy swim shorts?!

IslanderVictoria will be staying in RIO GRANDE!

Victoria, BC
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to buy swim shorts?!

Thanks everyone :) I will be in Rio Grande but we plan to visit Costco and the surrounding area for groceries/booze etc so we can easily visit the outlets too, assuming they are nearby? Thanks!

Any tips on where is best to buy our groceries? Is Costco similar to the ones in US/Canada as far as stock? I assume most chains are...

Is there a grocery store in Rio Grande that is recommended?

(I know the original question was about shorts, sorry for switching)

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
7,942 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to buy swim shorts?!

Sorry I missed that part. Jeez...

San Juan
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to buy swim shorts?!

in Rio Grande the best grocery supermarket is Ralphs. It is the #1 supermarket in the western region but now it has opened stores in the east too. Fresh vegetable fruits and produce and a wide variety of products from Puerto Rico all the time available, not frozen or imported!

Edited: 1:51 pm, December 05, 2011
San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to buy swim shorts?!

There is one Ralph's in Canovanas (road #3, before getting to the Outlets) and another in Fajardo - the biggest- also in road #3, same side as CVS pharmacy.

The Walmart in the shopping center in front of the Outlets is a Supercenter, with groceries too, and open 24 hrs a day.

Costco has more or less the same merchandise as in US. There is also a Sam's Club at the shopping center close to Costco. Both are in the Carolina Municipality, still on road #3.