We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puerto Rico Daily Sun (English Newspaper) now Online

Guaynabo, Puerto...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
10 reviews
Puerto Rico Daily Sun (English Newspaper) now Online

For Info

The Puerto Rico Daily Sun - the islands only daily English newspaper is now online - you can check it out here

http://www.prdailysun.com/

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
25 reviews
1. Re: Puerto Rico Daily Sun (English Newspaper) now Online

Cool. Thanks VTC.

San Juan
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Puerto Rico Daily Sun (English Newspaper) now Online

I wonder how they are going to survive financially, the last english only paper went bankrupt (the san juan star) because it had less than 3% of the market share. this paper has worst circulation than the san juan star and now has a free online edition, wonder how they are going to survive.

USA
Level Contributor
168 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Puerto Rico Daily Sun (English Newspaper) now Online

I think it is something faced by all newspapers, regardless of language or location. The San Juan Star was a major newspaper on the island for over 30 years. During its prime, the largest and most respected Spanish language paper was El Mundo. While El Nuevo Dia was around, it was only a minor player.

Now El Mundo and the San Juan Star are both dead, and El Nuevo Dia is the biggest paper...

San Juan
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Puerto Rico Daily Sun (English Newspaper) now Online

yes, but the san juan star due to the language was never a major newspaper even though it had at one time good journalists and investigative reports when manuel suarez was doing stories for the paper in the early 80´'s. But the language never allowed the paper to have a big circulation islandwide like El Mundo, El Vocero, El Nuevo Dia and now Primera Hora which have over 95% of the market, the sj star paper remained in hotel rooms, airport stores and centric areas of san juan for the most part. later, when The san juan star, was then owned by a cuban exiled, even tried a spanish version of the paper in 2000 along with the english version but they never clicked and then it fell to bankruptcy.

USA
Level Contributor
168 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Puerto Rico Daily Sun (English Newspaper) now Online

CoquiPR,

It would be hard for me to argue that there are more english than spanish speaker in PR. :-) But, the Star was a profitable newspaper for several *decades*, because they found a profitable niche. It was a pretty respected publication, and they even won a pulitzer prize. Here's short article about the paper:

abcnews.go.com/Business/Story…

It wasn't just for tourists. It was the primary newspaper for the english speaking community on the island. It was especially important in the days before cable/satellite/internet, when *all* the other media (including all TV channels) was in spanish.

I personally think the internet is what is killing newspapers. There are several highly respected major city newspapers in the states that are having financial troubles. Interestingly, small town newspapers with strictly local news and a circulation of only a few thousand, are often profitable.

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
13 reviews
6. Re: Puerto Rico Daily Sun (English Newspaper) now Online

ModestProposal, thanks for the article, the story repeats itself.."Roman Catholic bishops for interfering with government... LOL It is sad that the union killed the newspaper...

USA
Level Contributor
168 posts
5 reviews
7. Re: Puerto Rico Daily Sun (English Newspaper) now Online

Politics and religion have been mixed for centuries, regardless of what some people claim, and I don't see it changing any time soon...

Lake Placid, Florida
Level Contributor
620 posts
7 reviews
8. Re: Puerto Rico Daily Sun (English Newspaper) now Online

VTC, thanks for that link. So many times I've wanted to read about something and it's all in spanish. Now I can understand it. :-)

Guaynabo, Puerto...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
10 reviews
9. Re: Puerto Rico Daily Sun (English Newspaper) now Online

@BroncoBill

There is also http://www.caribbeanbusinesspr.com/index.php more business related but sometimes has some interesting stuff

and you can always cut/paste a page URL (or just some text) into google translate and it will do a reasonable job of translating it http://translate.google.com/#

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
872 posts
110 reviews
10. Re: Puerto Rico Daily Sun (English Newspaper) now Online

Thanks VTC. I have been waiting for this to come online for a while.